Crank question

skneal01

Hi guys, newby here. I recently purchased 2 2000 Banshees, had them out this last weekend and one of them seized up. I took it apart yesterday, and found the right piston skirt had broken off and took out the bottom of the cylinder liner also. I'm going to order new cylinders and top end kit, but I'm not sure what crank is in it. This shee has been highly modified, and I've been doing a lot of homework on replacement parts. First of all, how do I know if I have a stock crank, or a stroker, or a 4mm? I'm going to order the Athena 392cc 68mm Big bore cylinder kit. I'm not sure what size the cylinders are right now, but the Pistons in it now say 175 on the top and Japan on the inside. I haven't pulled the bottom end apart yet, I'm waiting on the flywheel puller tool to get here, but I just want to know what to look for when I get it apart. Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's part of the problem, I have no idea what I have right now! Lol! I really don't want to replace the cylinders because the are chromed, can the cylinders be resleaved? I'm pretty confidant I can do the work, I've rebuilt several Jetski 2Ts, Kawasaki 1100s, and the only reason I was going to get the Athena kit was because it comes with cylinders, pistons, cool-head and gaskets. But I don't think I can use it if I have a stroker crank it 4mm, BTW. What's the difference in the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So...another question is...when I took off the clutch cover, a piece of it is broken off and missing, there were no pieces of case in there, so it must have happened prior to this and the oil and metal pieces were removed. Does that piece that's broken off need to be there, or will it be ok to re-use it?

I finally got the tools I ordered. I'm going to take the bottom end part this weekend. Provided that I have a standard crank, and it is ok, what do you guys recommend for a rebuild as far as part brands. I'm not looking to race this thing, I more interested in good performance and reliability. I talked to a builder here who works for Steve Abbott, and he said the Athena kits are fine for what I'm looking for, so now I'm confused. As far as I have been told, if my crank is standard, I can use the Athena big bore kit, and may have to re-jet the carbs, but other than that, not much else should have to be done. Here is the kit I'm thinking of buying...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321718573832&globalID=EBAY-US