which shocks are better, alka stage 3 or fox float 3

jscharphorn

• 1 month later...

Do you use air or nitrogen to pressurize the Fox Shocks?
I run Axis all the way 'round my Banshee. 
I'm sure they've gotta be heavier than air shocks but I'm a duner so weight isn't a big deal for me.

Plus, I like the consistency of a spring...

Edited by jayzx10r

I went with Elka's over the fox. Two main reasons were customer support and they are have springs. Id have to bust a seal and then have issues. I'm sure i will love them since i've only ridding my bike on stock suspension/arms.

also...   shocks are not "pre set" out of the box... you do have to spend some time adjusting them for your style of ride and preference.

some places offer "clinics" where a tech watches you ride a track and gives recommendations on shock adjustmen

Aware of this.  Raced MX for 20 years. Set up more shocks and forks than I can count.

Have you thought that maybe you should wait to see if maybe elka just made a mistake when setting your shock up before you go bashing them on every thread?

I've been screwing with these ding dongs since I got them in early May.  Rather arrogant bunch I might add.  Now it's mid July and they have finally agreed to send an RMA and evaluate them.  But of course they won't be able to look at them for at least 4 weeks.  My main point in these threads I responded to was to inform others about the performance and value you can get out of a correctly rebuilt OEM.  If my big ass can jump 70'+ on an OEM, the average Joe could get a pretty good setup for under $300.  

$300 to rebuild a rear?

You got your stage 4 shocks for $1000. That is 2 fronts and a rear. If you split the cost up, that is $333/shock. Not that much of a difference in price.

That was a one time deal.  That rear alone was $1099.00 when I had J6 do mine 3 seasons ago.  Most other aftermarket 4 way adjustable rears are in the 1k realm. For people looking now, the rebuilt OEM is a great option.  And it was $275 to be exact.  100 for the spring. 50 for the seal head swap and 125 for oil and revalve.

i sent my rear to stadium suspension.. for the exact reason by the time I got a shock with the same adjustments it would be inth 1K range....

My rebuilt oem to stadium shock specs cost me 500 bucks...  new head seals, schader valving or what ever its called.. all internals swapped to theirs with a spring to my specs...

Now the "kit" sale elka does is one hell of a steal vs buying rear and fronts separate...   the Rear WILL outperform a stock rebuilt modified shock however the main performance gain going aftermarket is the flow rate of stock to elka's....   I spoke to our once upon a time master tech shock expert on here... and he told me that other then the flow rate being better on the elkas there isnt that much of a difference...   and comparing 1K to 500 bucks the avg rider would be more then fine on a rebuilt oem for half the cost... 

I'm really hoping in the end it out performs my OEM rear.  If not, It won't be hard to sell I guess.

It is now stage 3 steels for a grand. The stage 3 rear offers compression, rebound and preload adjustments. 

This is the same as a rear.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/products/kits/legacyseries-atv/

If both shocks were set up correctly, they should react the same.

If you are buying new shocks, would be better to get complete set of front and rears than just aftermarket fronts, and rebuild rear.

Stage 3s are pointless.  2 way adjustable up front and 3 way in the back.  That makes sense...

Holy fuck you are thick. First bitch about price, now bitching about adjustments.

If 3 way in the back is pointless, why keep the stock rear?

A set of front stage 3 fronts for run $1000. Add your $275 for oem rear and you are at $1275.

Or you can get stage 3 steels kit for a grand. Save $275 and sell your oem for like $50. Making it $325 cheaper for an equivalent adjustable shock. 

The point I'm making and what you're talking about are in different time zones guy.  

And what point is that? The 3 way adjustable rear shock is pointless but a rebuilt stocker is a good option?

Having fronts with no rebound is pointless.  Elka's stage 3 kit is a stage 3 rear with stage 2 fronts.  Now that the 4's are gone its pointless to buy the 3s.  Spend a little extra on some 3 way fronts and have a good builder work on your OEM rear.  Thats the point, genius.

Stage 3s are pointless. 2 way adjustable up front and 3 way in the back. That makes sense...

If 3 way in the back is pointless, why keep the stock rear?

You read that wrong. I think he wants a package with 3 in the front.

Edit: exactly what he said up there.