Silver Lake bound I need to know some things

Ok so we are planning a trip to Silver Lake June 12-14 for the supposed biggest event of the year there. But I would like to know what you guys recommend for my banshee when I go??

I have paddles on another set of wheels but what else do I need? It's a pretty stock motor with simple bolt on mods. Will my toomy t5s get me in or do I need to go another route? I would hate to take a four hour drive and them not let me in due to a technicality!!

Mods: toomy t5 system, uni filter system, impeller, pancake bearing, timing plate set at +4, v force 4 reeds and that's really it. Idk let me know and as always thanks a lot fellas, hopefully I can make the trip and meet a few of you guys in person if you all go!!

I could of sware I've seen some YouTube video with banshees running oof there with no spark arrestors. Could be wrong but wondering how they got in

I was just told this weekend by some one i met riding at our local riding spot. Now he seemed like an honest dude but who knows but i asked him similar questions cause he said he frequents silver lake. He said that guys that have really loud bikes load the bike into the back of a truck and drive out into the dunes to avoid being checked. So its very possible you saw some OOF'S out there if thats true.

Edited by uman1030
  • Like 1

Well I have a pick up truck but no 4x4 will I be able to make it around or will I be screwed? Don't wanna get stuck but it's a Nissan Frontier so it's light idk I've never been and really wanna go. Just don't need any surprises!!

2wd is risky sometimes. At the end of the entrance trail theres a pretty good lil incline that gobbles up the idiots that dont know how to drive or dont air down tires. If its clear and not whooped out I can 2wd in, if its rough 4x4 almost isnt enough. Airing down your tires is a must, 12-15psi. Id go for driving in if I were, bring a yellow snatch strap. Other duners love pulling out stuck vehicles.

I was only there once we rode the quads in but we seen a older couple in there probably 60's stuck right as you get in they had a 4x4 full size pickup it just would not move so I stopped and helped them..

they said it was always on there bucket list to drive the dunes I thought that was cool

they did not air the tires down at all si me and my buddy aired them down for them but told them to be extremely carful when they leave and to make sure they aired them back up before driving to far, no idea how low we aired them down we did not have a gauge but it worked they spent the whole day cruising around made us feel good we helped them out.

imo stay out of there with a 2 wd truck unless you want problems

Sparkies are needed for sure, and just because its in your truck does not mean they will not check. I have seen them check quads in the bed for spark arrestors too.  David Allen racing should have the sparkies though they are most likely not the cheapest place to get them, but its good to support that place as they do keep stuff in stock for when you need it.  You may also have to worry about the noise, this is hit or miss on getting checked. I have not been checked all year and then got checked twice in 20 minutes another year.

I would also plan on making or buying another flag mount, I have broke every stock grab bar flag mount I have attempted to use out there. A thick-ish plate with a u-bolt is good enough, you can buy those at David Allen also. I make my own that clamp on with split shaft collars.    

Yeah I'll probably get my sparkys today online while it's still early. Is anybody else gonna be there that weekend? I'm sure every banshee there is gonna run circles around me but I wanna go for the experience!! A ten foot high flag? I just measured mine and its 8' and some change from the ground to the top of the flag.

Guess I'm gonna see if there's any camp sites available still so I can reserve my spot. Gonna take my smoker out there and make some good ol Texas bbq!! I'm thinkin brisket and some pulled pork! All you guys are welcome to stop by, that is if all goes as planned

Everyone pretty much summed it up. Sparkies, rectangle pennant orange flag. Just measure the overall height on the shee. The height bar is 10ft. But sags at the end away from there building. You will need to purchase a state park sticker for each motor vehicle that enters the park. On your quad u will need a orv sticker and a trail sticker. I live right in mears and go to the dunes every wkend. Last wkend was very busy, I did get in line for a parking voucher for Saturday. Sunday I was able to just drive up and get a voucher and Monday they where not handing them out for the parking lot. I figure this wkend I won't get up at 6am to go park a car in the line for parking vouchers that are handed out at 9pm. Hope this info helps.

Yeah thanks all this input has been very helpful. I've been on the hunt for spark arrestors all day and finally found some for my toomey t5s at $70 each!! Do I need to buy the hush kit with arrestor or will the sparkys alone be sufficient enough? Don't know if they are too loud and what not.

Wait so if I go Friday afternoon after work I won't be able to get in until Saturday morning?? I am reserving a camp site I think it's lot 220 or somewhere close to it, like I said I'm kinda nervous and don't wanna take that long ass drive just to get turned around over some bull.. I don't mind buying a flag and stickers and what not just don't need anything else to pop up.

Friday you should be good, you have to get parking lot vouchers the night before or go on a standby list the day (on saturday and sunday)f, hard to judge how busy it will be and if this will be an issue or not. IF you are dune ready with your truck and take the truck and banshee out in dunes no need for the voucher and you can get in whenever you want. Just be sure to air down your truck tires and get all your stickers at the voucher center.

Its a crap shoot on the loudness, I have seen people that are good with just sparkies and I have seen someone get turned away too. I do know they sell the hush kit up there just as a worst case. I know of one instance on a VW rail where the person at the check-in stand told the driver to go and add more disc to their super-trap end so it will pass the noise level, if you actually understand how these work you will realize how dumb this is, anyways that person did that and was not made to run a sound check the rest of the weekend. I think you will be fine with just sparkies.