no kick start no idle when pushed runs awesome... why?

Dubol22

It's a 1996 with 2006 black SE plastics. Its completely black except the motor and the springs. I don't have any pics of the bike as its at my fathers house at the moment where I store it so I can't take a pic right now or read the jets. The jets are stock, so I guess they are whatever Yamaha put in them in 1996. Everything as far as running is completely stock except the motor. And I am at 200ft above sea level. The engine was bored 80 over, Paul turner head with 18cc domes, adjustable stator plate, boost bottle, K&N filter, lid and snorkel is on the air box where as I half to ride through water sometimes. Other than that the bike is bone stock. I believe it even has stock tires still on it.

Well since I got the bike from the original owner who didn't even know to mix oil with the fuel and blew the first engine and the original plastics were in almost show room condition (red and yellow). I'm certain they didn't change the jets. I got the bike for fixing their minivan for them. But stranger things have happend. Like I said it still has the stock tires on it.

Somewhat. I'm not great but I can do lower level things. But I have much to learn and I have no experience with 2 strokes or carbs. I'm hopeing its that wide open throttle thing. I forget what its called since I only read about it on here this morning and watched a YouTube video on how to change it. But I don't personally know anyone who has or has even rode a banshee other than a junk one that my dad acquired for $25 from someone he met a few years ago at the gas station.

How would that be felt in the engine? I don't have a clue.the kicker kicks like any other 2stroke I have kicked. But when it is running and I'm riding it, it runs great. The only sound I hear while Riding it is the kick starter rattling. Otherwise no complaints except I don't have the awesome sound of after market pipes. I want to put reeds and a few other things on it but if I can't figure this out then I am just going to save and buy a new stock engine

Not neccessarlily the crank can be just enough out of phase enough to advance the timing put still be able to fire at the right moment, you said when your giving it gas its fine and runs great ? deff sounds like timing and I wouldnt count on the timing being set to 0 especially on a dune. Is there a degree section on your adjustable timing plate ? if there isnt your still running the stock one which is ok or its some "taiwan rip off plate" if the flywheel key looked great than I would also bet the cranks out of phase.

My father and I have actually tried adjusting the timing a few times to see if it would help. I just ended up setting the timing back to 0. Honestly I think I have figured out the problem I just don't have the money to fix it right now. I think the wide open throttle thing has malfunctioned and since it has stock jets and everything that's done to the motor its just not getting enough gas to start initially or to idle. That's why it runs spectacularly in my opinion when you push it and get it started. So as long as you are giving it some throttle it has no problems and runs like a top. Also it I will run the timing to +4 and see how that works out after I get the carb. conversion kit with new plugs. But thank you very much on your input. I would post the pics but the bike is in storage at the moment so I can't. Also I got my identity stolen and all my money was taken from my accounts so it will prolly be over a month before I can even try anything due to having no money all working with the authorities to get my money back.

Hate to be nosey.......no I don't who am I kidding. What did you pay for this engine? I couldn't see a rebuild top to bottom. Costing more then a whole other engine that's fresh.

Sent from your mammy house