Resurrecting The 1/4 Mile Bike

SlowerThanYou

So does the synthetic slip more and solve the shift issue?

We don't know exactly what causes the problem. It shifts fine in the cut gears. I think the motor oil is to thick to allow the clutch plates to release enough during the shift kill. With the Type F it has a friction modifier & caused the same problem. We will find out next time out. Might have to go back to the expensive stuff. 

We don't know exactly what causes the problem. It shifts fine in the cut gears. I think the motor oil is to thick to allow the clutch plates to release enough during the shift kill. With the Type F it has a friction modifier & caused the same problem. We will find out next time out. Might have to go back to the expensive stuff. 

I don't think it's an oil issue Bryan. The multi-stage arms shouldn't back off much in XX milliseconds and the clutch plates don't need to release to make an upshift anyway. In fact you don't want the clutch to "unclamp" or you'll get that classic slip into those higher gears. A short ignition kill should be all you need to unload the gear pressure just enough for it to easily click up to the next gear. Something else is going on IMO. As you know I'm really busy but give me a quick call tomorrow.

Ever try 5w30 Mobil 1 full synthetic?

While we like the Mobil 1 products we have never used them in the quad. This was the 1st time using the synthetic motor oil. We normally use Royal Purple Synchromax. We switched to Synthetic B&M Trick Shift, but I'm sure we have only ran that for 300' & not using the shift kill.

I don't think it's an oil issue Bryan. The multi-stage arms shouldn't back off much in XX milliseconds and the clutch plates don't need to release to make an upshift anyway. In fact you don't want the clutch to "unclamp" or you'll get that classic slip into those higher gears. A short ignition kill should be all you need to unload the gear pressure just enough for it to easily click up to the next gear. Something else is going on IMO. As you know I'm really busy but give me a quick call tomorrow.

Thanks Buddy, but I think I would be wasting your time!

We had this exact same issue when testing the Type F trans fluid. We made 3 runs at the track & got to 90 millisecond & it wouldn't shift. Did nothing, but change back to our normal oil the same night & the problem went away.

Heck, I don't know if the same thing is going on as above, but we are changing the oil to start. Plus, the boys didn't index the shift lever in Justin's normal spot. It could have been not allowing him to release the pressure on the shift arm.

BTW, we are not running the Multi-Stage in this set-up.

I thought type f has No friction modifiers? thats why its grabs the best. dexron and other trans fluids all have modifiers in differemt amounts to get a certain amount of slip. synchromax surely has modifiers in it to purposely get slip. Just like most motor oils and any sythetic im sure.

I would try dexron/mercon fluids or factory auto fluids like honda or chevy. just a thought to get something to work right and be cheaper then 20 a quart for synchro.

I thought type f has No friction modifiers? thats why its grabs the best. dexron and other trans fluids all have modifiers in differemt amounts to get a certain amount of slip. synchromax surely has modifiers in it to purposely get slip. Just like most motor oils and any sythetic im sure.

I would try dexron/mercon fluids or factory auto fluids like honda or chevy. just a thought to get something to work right and be cheaper then 20 a quart for synchro.

We have always been taught old school with our drag racing. It's known or passed on the use of Type F trans fluid is used for its higher friction to help keep the clutches lock-up. They also use friction modifiers in clutch type limited slips in rear-ends to do the same thing.

This was taken from Mobil 1:

"The frictional characteristics of an automatic transmission fluid are an important factor in the design and operation of the transmission. All Ford transmissions built prior to 1977, and certain models that continued in use during 1977-1980, were designed for a high-friction fluid that allowed the shifting clutches to lock up or engage quickly. Ford specification ESW-M2C33-F covers this type of product, which is commonly referred to as "Type F" fluid."

Well, it was a hectic day yesterday with the quad. We finally found out why it wasn't wanting to shift into 5 & 6th gears. A ground wire was loose & was causing intermittent shift kill problem. We also developed a clutch cover leak, luckily I had a new gasket. 

Even though the Density Altitude was the shittiest so far today; it will only get worse until Oct, LOL!. We did manage to go quicker with the quad. It liked the gear change, higher shift points & new tires. Today we plan on raising them another 300 rpm. Plus, lowering the shift kill milliseconds from 90 to 60.

Both of us went out in the 1st round yesterday, hopefully we do better today!