Resurrecting The 1/4 Mile Bike

SlowerThanYou

Well, it was a zoo at the track today! Made some nice & easy runs on the quad & hoopty/demo Camaro. I got 1 vid of the car & quad, but for some reason I can't download the quad video. I was able to get a couple pics downloaded.

CamaroRadialPic_zps1feace83.jpg

QaudStagingLane_zps7fdb8ee3.jpg

I only got 2 runs on the Camaro today. It went 10.21 @ 132 on a check out pass. The vid below it went 10.14 @ 133. Both passes was with a conservative tune-up. This was the 1st time on radial slicks.

http://vid143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/BLK1700/Clutch%20Tuning%20Video/CamaroRadialSlicks_zpsfausiwsx.mp4

443?

Seeing asphalt bikes makes me want to build on just to look at. They look pretty sweet! How long have you guys been doing it? As for NHRA rules, are any frame modifications allowed? Could you run a chromoly stock look alike frame?

535 built/ported by my Son. I put a conservative race gas, ignition curve & chassis set-up for the 1st race. Our track is 3-4 tenths slower than most tracks due to elevation, heat & very little vegetation (O2 percentages). Anyway, our best time at our track with the 443 in this chassis with me riding was 10.39 with my best tune. This new set-up with my Son riding 2nd pass out it ran 10.57 with a safe tune-up.

We have some changes coming for this set-up to get the ET quicker & we have to work on the MPH also, it's pretty low.

We started in late 2004. NHRA rules state a stock frame, but ours is lightened a little. I see no problem with building a chromoly look alike. We have talked with a few chassis guys about building one. Just haven't found the need for it yet. We maybe heavy, but we are still fast.

Sweet! Cool information about the little vegetation (O2 pecrentages) effects times. I'd really like to get into asphalt, we have a few tracks here and also Brainerd International Raceway which allows quads a few times a year to run. If you put a smaller jockey on, what do you think it could run?

Got anymore recent pictures of it?

Is that your scooter??

I don't know what a smaller jockey would run. We have never needed to do that. There's really much more to a race than a lightweight jockey. Most of their heads weigh more than their bodies, because the heads are swollen. When it comes down to the money rounds, most of them choke in some form or fashion.

This motor will be much faster than the 443 with about 40-60 more runs.

All the pictures in this thread & last 4 in the gallery are this years set-up. What pics are you looking for?

LOL! yes that's our pit scooter. Would you like to see pics of our pit quad also?

Now, if you or anyone else is serious about the asphalt. The 1st thing you need to do is contact your local tracks in your area that you wish to run. Make sure you talk with the track manager's & head tech guy's. Explain to them what you are wanting to do & the capabilities of these things in both the 1/8 & 1/4 mile (high 5s 1/8 & high 9s 1/4 mile). Just because NHRA or IHRA say you can run in the rulebook. The track can still turn you away. As for outlaw tracks, pretty much anything goes, but they are mostly on the East Coast.

Now, how fast are you wanting to go, what size motor do want & 1/8 or 1/4 mile?

Let me know the results of the track discussions & the above sentence questions. Then I'll start a Asphalt Thread For Dummies or you can start it.

This fella knows a thing or two bout racing. I showed up at Milan here in Michigan where Brian drove over half way across the country to race. That fella didn't touch a single tool all day and the car just ran solid low-mid 10's all day. Pretty sure the only change was when he said he was tired to he tweaked the delay box. I'd hate to race Brian if he ever came to the track as serious as I try to be.

I'll get some numbers together and make the calls...

I'd like to be in the 11's or upper 10's if I ran 1/4, which to me sounds more appealing but I'm sure much more goes into it. 4-10cub. If I could get a well sorted out DM I'd go that route.

It would likely be a stock chassis with as much cut off as the rules allow

I pretty much answered your questions in the thread you started.