finishing my long serval build

RagunCajun

I appreciate the advice. I ride dirt/grass fields. So if pods help, I will get some.

No rocks, roots etc. Just open fuel roads

I keep moving so it shouldn't over heat. I run 50/50. If for example I do donuts or something that does have air through the radiator, I'll go for a low Rpm 5th or 6th run to cool it off. I believe I already have the impeller and I do have an over sized China radiator.

Any other ideas good or bad, I appreciate. It helps regardless.

Just went for the maiden voyage in my sub division. Holy crap. The low end is unreal. Dont know how mid-top end. It just lights up the tires mean while pulls like no tomorrow. I cant wait to get it to my folks place to ride in the field. I'm very glad i didnt do a 4mil like i was going to do. No video cept the wife's cell phone of my putt putting off for a few seconds.

edit* I also wanted to add i thought the engine would be very lazy. For example seem slow to rev, throttle response etc. I couldnt be more wrong. Throttle response is instant. The power is timit or brutal on command. I thought with shearers, it would not have any low or mid and be similar to a cub. WRONG. It seems to have more low than 450's. But maybe its because i didnt ride a atv in 2-3 years. I am VERY glad i did full suspension and upgraded what i could.

I now understand why people said +6 may not be enough. This bike will take some time to get used to.

• Like 2

Just went for the maiden voyage in my sub division. Holy crap. The low end is unreal. Dont know how mid-top end. It just lights up the tires mean while pulls like no tomorrow. I cant wait to get it to my folks place to ride in the field. I'm very glad i didnt do a 4mil like i was going to do. No video cept the wife's cell phone of my putt putting off for a few seconds.

edit* I also wanted to add i thought the engine would be very lazy. For example seem slow to rev, throttle response etc. I couldnt be more wrong. Throttle response is instant. The power is timit or brutal on command. I thought with shearers, it would not have any low or mid and be similar to a cub. WRONG. It seems to have more low than 450's. But maybe its because i didnt ride a atv in 2-3 years. I am VERY glad i did full suspension and upgraded what i could.

I now understand why people said +6 may not be enough. This bike will take some time to get used to.

Welcome to the big boy trail club

Trail Bikes, FTW

I went ride by the folks today with the bike. First of all, i need a bigger truck. Bike barely fits in my b2300. My folding ramps are too narrow which freaking sucks. I just  man handled it in the bed. When i got home, the wife said my bro in law said i can use his trailer so that's a win/win. I will just go buy a tow package.

Here's a quick picture from today to show off the powder coating color in sunlight.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/raguncajun/DSC02125_zpshugfjjaa.jpg

Now on to ride impressions. I spent about 15 min on the bike. It's not a long time but i did want to visit with my dad and eat supper. The bike has a lot of low end. It will fight traction before the powerband. This is with about 9psi in the rear tires. I checked when i got home so this is promising. I'm going to try 6psi for the next outting. Getting back to the power delivery, it's very smooth. Nothing like a light switch power band at all. But dont read that was weak. It's down right ridiculous. 1-5th is a joke. As for 6th, i didnt get much into it. It's weird having 6th gear again. However, it's nice to be able to back load the trans.The bike still feels like a banshee even with that massive bottom end cummins like tq on the low end. If i hold the throttle right before the power, the bike kinda shakes. Amazing. I cant comment on over rev because i didnt beat on it too much while im very new to the whole build. So far i like the shocks. There's nothing rough so it's all overkill but that's not a bad thing at all. I did not try to launch it from a dead stop. I'm going to bring my pro wedges when i go ride again and see how those are. IF they work good, i will get some 4-snow tires from Maxxis.

The promod is something i will have to get use to. From my memory, it feels very good. I can only compare it to my 02 yz250. It's very easy to shift up or down. I dont even have to click the shifter all the way up before it's in the next gear. I dont miss not having neutral down liike i thought i would. Neutral is getting easier and easier to find. I have road a bike in a couple years so that's expected.

Special thanks to loco for recommending the tires for me. Same goes for the gearing. I'm running a 15/41 combo right now. It seems good so far. I may order a stock length swing arm in the future for when my CST pulse tires are on. The turning radius is kinda big but i can whip it around im sure with a blimp of the throttle.

Speaking of throttle, the stock with billet extender freakin sucks. My short thumbs have trouble reaching it with the added space these ODI bold on grips require. I'm ordering a honda throttle asap. I'll do a honda throttle and if it's still too far for my liking, i'm going back to regular glue on grips.

From what i remember this exhaust is far more louder than my old SBIF cpi's i had for years. I'm not complaining though.

I'm going to try to get some video this weekend if i can get a camera man.

• Like 1

Ill try lower pressure. Ill grab a tire marker from work to make sure the wheels dont spin inside the tire. I do not have bead locks.

So far i am liking my gearing.I have a brand new 16t front in the parts stash i was going to try first. The bike is a lot to take in at once. With the low end the 521's make, there's no need to rev them to the moon so IMO taller gearing is doable. The speed in 5th and 6th is just unnecessary for what i do so time will tell. I'm sure ill slap the 16t on the front sooner or later.

Do you do a lot of WOT runs in 5th and 6th with your 521 cub?

Ill try lower pressure. Ill grab a tire marker from work to make sure the wheels dont spin inside the tire. I do not have bead locks.

So far i am liking my gearing.I have a brand new 16t front in the parts stash i was going to try first. The bike is a lot to take in at once. With the low end the 521's make, there's no need to rev them to the moon so IMO taller gearing is doable. The speed in 5th and 6th is just unnecessary for what i do so time will tell. I'm sure ill slap the 16t on the front sooner or later.

Do you do a lot of WOT runs in 5th and 6th with your 521 cub?

I doubt you will have issue with the tire spinning on the bead. I know I never have and I know a lot of guys with much bigger motors that have no issues

Trail Bikes, FTW

• Like 1

Finishing I my brake install. Turns out I'll have to use my old rear pads until I can get the brembo caliper. Oh well.

I'm in the process right now on changing my front brake pads. They are raptor 700 calipers and of course raptor 700 pads. Does any one here use some sort of brake grease on the screws the pads slide on? We do that at work on brake jobs on cars and trucks it is a must. I won't do it to my front pads if it will hurt it. It isn't regular bearing great that will get hot and leak. It's specially made stuff. We actually use Nissan dealership brake grease which is $60.00 for a little jar. I can take it home tomorrow and slap some on real quick while my front is apart.

Im shutting the shed down for tonight until I see what yall say about this. I'll continue tomorrow.