Heated grip question. What works?

87 was the first year of the return of the exciter. They ran until 93. In 94 they reintroduced the vmax line which ran until 96. In 97 yamaha caught up with the times and went trailing arm and got away from the TSS. Elect start was an option on most which was why the battery was there. No lights or accs worked unless the sled was running. I do believe (not positive) they are all dc and use a regulator to manage the current.

Loved the Vmax stuff. Pretty stout and some guys drag builders had good success with them. There were plenty of folks who's first ride on a sled was an exciter. Hell, we put 475 miles on my buddy's 570 exciters last year in the UP over a weekend. Vintage can be fun.

I think all I have to do is get another voltage regulator and T it into the extra wire coming out of the stator and then I have another 100 watts available to run the grips. There are two houses for rent for $50-$75 a night right in Dunbar. It seems Dunbar is centrally located near all the decent trails in that area. Money and weather will determine if I'm going on this trip

I've got the Racetech 200w dual output. The extra output is a white wire on mine. You're right about needing another regulator. Do you remember the exact model stator you have? I floated the ground on one side of my stator, and when I was looking for a regulator/rectifier, I noticed Evan had 200w single output stators available.

Yeah, it should be pretty straight forward. I just have to pick up the hand warmers and another regulator and mount them up. I think I'm going to go with type that goes under the grip so I can run the same pillow top grips that are good to your hands.

I still have to fix my accessory box. I'm going back to the builder in two weeks for the new domes and dyno.