re-use new rings? how long to build compression on new motor

volcrano

No left side smokes a tad more. I sprayed carb cleaner and could find any idle change. Idle isn't set with tors because it seems like it wants to load up if you idle it low for a minute. No lope idle or slow to rev down though. It's been years since I've rode a stock piped banshee. It feels like it's just luggu and not clean on the bottom but after it warms up its decently responsive and revs clean from mid to top. I do agree with some jetting though since I'm half turn on my pilot so i know i need a 27.5 and the top kinda flattens, so I'm sure it could use a lil bigger main too as you suggested. Didn't know if I should reject during break in since there will be blow by until rings seat and I didn't want to overload the fuel to it and have it burble. Plugs are black and wet though. I'd like to get some sort of color before I jet. When I run it under a load they are dry but a lil gray. When I get it hot by just revving under a load and check plug they are wet though, but that's no load. It's to the break in point that I should not be doing the heat cycles no load, I need to get my ass on the street and give er hell.

Those pistons add a solid 7 HP.

With the stock pilot and lean jetting issues develop fast. I'm sure the smoke initially was the assembly oils burning off. Sounds like you need to start with a full inspection.

Well it seems that you guys are probably right. I rode it more last night and prob ran another gallon through it. Compression is dropping so yeah, it's toast. I know it's not the right way and I might be in another situation, but I am going to pull the jugs and check ring gap. If I am still in spec, I am going to hone the cylinders again and scuff the rings with 320 grit sandpaper and try to get a seat again, making sure that after I'm done honing I'm in spec also. I figure it's worth a try, it's a $25 gasket kit and a few hours. I'll also start with 27.5 pilots and a 250 main jet and stock closed airbox. I'll report back if rings can be brought back from the dead. Who knows, they might be out of tolerance as soon as I tear it down.

I would save yourself the hassle and time right now...have the bore measured...not just at the top but all throughout the cylinder by a machine shop...go one bore size up with new pistons...WAIT till you have the pistons in hand and let the machine shop bore to piston spec in hand..then you can assemble with confidence. ..

Also...couple aftwr assembly pre fire requisites. ...

Leak down test

Compression test

Squish test

All important steps to save you money and time in the end

Yeah. I will on the next round. It's confirmed. Motor is shot. Piston rings on left side blew, piston is destroyed, cylinder is gonna need a bore. It seems the crank had excessive play in it also so it's pretty much going to be back to square 1. If anybody knows anyone with a good set of cases and a crank let me know please. The cases didn't get damaged, but the mount that holds the clutch cable was broke on one side and I welded up a tab to hold it. I'd rather just make it all right period. Thanks guys for telling me shit I didn't want to hear :)