Only would start while holding throttle wide open.

oh3shee

Yesterday I was out riding hummin down some trails when Bambi and all his cousins decided to run out into the trail. I was in 4th gear about to hit 5th when I grabbed the clutch and stood on all the brakes. The quad died right out as I was sliding to a stop. After that it would not start. I was kicking forever. For some reason I said F it and held the throttle wide open as I kicked it. Fired right up strong and I was on my way again. Im wonder what caused this. Was the float stuck open or something? Im just starting to learn about tearing into this thing and figuring out how it all works exactly. 

Thanks for any help or advice. 

Usually on carbureted vehicles if you have to hold the throttle wide open its flooded. The extra air helps lean the mixture enough that it will start. Since the motor isn't  running its really not pulling in enough air to cause fuel to draw up through the main jet while starting with the throttle wide open.

That makes sense. tricedcarbine, you mentioned that I shut it down. I didnt hit the kill switch to shut her down. I just hit the clutch and brakes and tried to stop as fast as I could. The quad just died. And yes, it starts fine now and when I held the throttle open it fired right up with pretty much a half kick. 

The plugs always seemed burned on the top where the cables connect. I think I need a new coil. When Im riding and holding the throttle steady one side sounds consistent while the other side seems to sound like its support at a high speed. They just dont sound equal. From all Ive read it sounds like it could be an electrical issue with the coil sending a bad signal.

Any thougts?

Make sure to have plugs with out he threaded on tip. They can cause issues and still come loose if thy are crimped. Also, try new boots before the coil. If it's firing it's 99.999999999999% probably ok. Literally grab the plug wire near the boot and Un screw it counter clockwise. Clip the end of the wire about 1/4" then thread the new boot on. Once it is snug leave it be. It won't torque up crazy tight. Do that on both wires.