trx250r need help

Aright i picked up a 86trx250r for really cheap but its not running right. i got a heck of a deal and i know its worth more in parts but id like to getting it running right so i can make my banshee a dune quad and the trx a trail quad. Please no crap for me having a honda atleast its a 2 smoker :yank: . Alright it starts first or second kick but it never has any power. it feels like the plug is getting gummed up, but it never clears out or opens up. I put a few new plugs in it, changed the gas(running premium with klotz 40:1) checked compression, cleaned air filter, took silencer off to make sure it wasnt packed full of shit. and nothing helped. Im thinking its either reeds or cdi box. Any suggestions? how do i tell if the reeds are bad?

carb has been cleaned. Guy said it ran fine last summer but hasnt been touched sense then, and the jets havent been changes. He also said it would idle fine. Now it wont idle. The plug looks wet. but its not too bad. i dont think it is the jetting. also looked up jetting and its pretty on point.

• Like 1

If your gonna keep it the first thing I would do is buy the CR ignition kit for it. Let us know what compression is, sounds like carb issues. I had 4 R's from a 370 Duner to 443 Puma drag bikes. Pound for pound and comparing CC's they the baddest bike ever built. Mainly used for MotoX because of power and Geometry. Wish I woulda kept mine.

Compression was 170. the reeds look good. Next is im going to take the flywheel off and see if the key is sheared. Aslo i have a feeling it may be burning gear oil. The plugs get pretty wet fast, and smokes a lot for premium gas with klotz 40:1

If it's burning the case oil, then the crank case has a leak somewhere. Which could be a culprit of your issues. It's passed a leak down with the covers off the motor?