left cylinder cutting out

Hi everybody im new to bansheehq. I just picked up my first banshee about 2 weeks ago. I have been reading a lot of forums on here since i got it. You guys have tons of usefull info on here its awesome. Heres my question i took it out today and rode it hard for the first time. I didnt notice any problems till we were racin. After havin it at WOT in sixth gear for a little bit the left cylinder went dead. I pulled the clutch in reved it a little then it came back to life. It was fine for a little then went dead again. Same thing pulled the clutch reved it and it was back. It did this a few times all day. I did notice the coupler between the expasion chamber and pipe on that side was really loose. Dont know if that has anything to do with it or not i have toomey t5's. I havent had time to pull the plugs and look at them got home late no time to work on it yet. Just lookin for ideas where to start lookin for the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Must not have read enough, or you'd have came across all the suggestions :)

Clean carbs one at a time as parts are different but will fit wrong carb.Make sure air will blow through all openings. Set float height. Write down jet sizes and let us know what theyare. Clean petcock.

If plugs are nasty try new ones.

Make sure tank vent is working or gut the cap.

Remove plug boots, trim 1/4" from wire, install with dielectric grease.

clean nubs on flywheel and set gap with feeler gage.

Do leakdown test.

Work down list until fixed or problem found.

Also need to know elevation and relative temps

Edited by Larry's Shee

Ok ill go thru the list and check all those things. Thanks. I did put new plugs, petcock and inline fuel filter the day before i took it out so i got a couple things on the list done already. My elevation is 150 feet above sea level. Heres a list of the mods the guy i got it from told me it had.

Bored .06 over

Milled head just enough to still run pump gas

New reeds and cage not sure what brand

Tors delete

Pro flow intake with k&n filter no air box

Full toomey t5 exhaust

Hot wires spark plug wires

I think thats all i cant think of anything else right now.

Just a simple suggestion, i had problems like these at one time, and i was using that pro flow with k&n and no box lid set up, and i got some advice on how to get more power, which i know isnt your problem but if you are interested in a rejet i would suggest k&n pod style. The short or the long will work but you get decent power out of a decently cheap upgrade, and they look cool!  :D  My suggestion based on your problem is air flow which can cause that problem.

Just a simple suggestion, i had problems like these at one time, and i was using that pro flow with k&n and no box lid set up, and i got some advice on how to get more power, which i know isnt your problem but if you are interested in a rejet i would suggest k&n pod style. The short or the long will work but you get decent power out of a decently cheap upgrade, and they look cool! :D My suggestion based on your problem is air flow which can cause that problem.

He won't gain an ounce of power by switching to pods (from proflo)at his level of power.

I've had my trail bike dynod 55ish hp dynod with pods after removing my modded airbox and proflo and gained nothing.

Ill try that too when i get a chance. I dont have a lot of time till the weekend due to work schedual. Thanks for the help. Have you or anyone had any experience with the hot wires good/bad? I do have a boost bottle i forgot to mention its goin in the scrap pile asap. I have a feeling its a fuel issue. When i got it home after picking it up i went for a ride. I turned the petcock to off the next mornin i got up it leaked all the fuel out of the tank. Thats why i put a new petcock and inline filter. I havent had any issues with that since. I think the floats were a little stuck. I can leave the fuel on now since i put fresh fuel/oil mix and ran a full tank thru it it dont leak a drop now. Regardless ill check everything you told me to just to be safe. I wanted to check the jets anyway better safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok small update. I havent done a leakdown or compression test yet been kinda busy. But today i needed a little excitement so i took the banshee up and down the road for about 30 minutes. I noticed the base gasket on the left side is leaking just slightly on the left hand side. Same side that cuts out WOT in 6th gear. Do you guys think this could be the reason why it does cut out? I will do a leakdown/compression test and check jets and clean my carbs and replace the base gasket asap. Just curious about what you guys think is why im asking.