1997 F-350 7.3 Diesel options

BUILDER

I have a 1997 F-350 Crew cab 7.3 diesel with 4" lift and 35"  tires. It is bone stock and I am getting ready to start pulling a fifth wheel trailer with it. My plans are to put 4.88 gears in it an S&B Cold air intake the Edge CS Programmer and a turbo back exhaust. Should run pretty good after that just curious if anyone out there has a similar pickup and if you do what have you done to it for towing? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a 2000 7.3  I have 3.73 gears.  4.88 seems like it would eat the fuel.  All i have done to it so far is used a tuner and put in a K&N cold air intake.  I'd like to do a turbo back exhaust soon.  Pulls my 5th wheel great.

With 35" tires on it if you do the math 4.88 gears would put it back to right about stock. It sucks fuel like crazy right now but if you get it up to around 75 or so the fuel economy gets better. 

Dave shut it hooker!

4.88 might be over kill for highway no?

wouldnt most stick around 4.10

Use a gear calculator and see what it says. It has 4.10 gears in it right now and with tires this much taller than stock the damn pickup would do 130 mph if it had enough power. 

4.88 will be too low if your going to use it much other than pulling. I put 4.88 in and promptly went back to 4.10s.  If its an auto be prepared to buy a tranny. Ive never had any luck with the edge junk. After several failures I went to the simple super chip tuner and it works great to this day. (I know the guy who has the truck now) The intake thing I think is kind of a gimmic IMO and I got sick of listening to the damn thing. Sounded like a 747 inside the cab. Im of the opinion that a simple chip and an exhaust is plenty for the average pickup. 

Exhuast should help lower egts get rid of that oval down pipe and put atleast the 3" down pipe. I got rid of the cat and had Mbrp muffler on it. I ran the edge evolution in the tow mode and never had problem with other than it still would only do 40 up a hill. Those tri pod gauges are a pretty good investment and keep an eye on them. I never changed my gears but with 37s it liked 80 mph even towing just had to be flat ground.

i have 3.73 gears and 35s and tow with it pretty much every other weekend usually get around 16 mpgs 18 empty. be weary with a chip and towing unless its got a tow tune. i have to turn mine down or off to keep egts at bay when towing.

Exhuast should help lower egts get rid of that oval down pipe and put atleast the 3" down pipe. I got rid of the cat and had Mbrp muffler on it. I ran the edge evolution in the tow mode and never had problem with other than it still would only do 40 up a hill. Those tri pod gauges are a pretty good investment and keep an eye on them. I never changed my gears but with 37s it liked 80 mph even towing just had to be flat ground.

I am installing a new turbo down pipe and I already and running straight exhaust on the pickup. The Edge CS programmer has the digital display that will show all the gauges you need including EGT. 

Green I know you had issues with yours I ran the Edge on both  my dodge's for years with no issues at all

Keep in mind if you guys keep refering to your 99 and up 7.3 and the mileage and power that is not the same setup as a 97 7.3. Totally different fuel system that motor in intercooled also. 

I have a auto but it has the billet converter and a shift kit in it so the trans is fine and I have been a diesel mechanic my whole life so I am smart enough not to burn my tans up trying to go up a big hill.

Trailer is 36' and dry weight is right at 8,000

Cruising speed around here just heading to the dunes is 70 to 75 

I have a 97 and 96 CC/LB 4x4 7.3 autos. Both are modded. I set up my 97 to tow a big trailer. I'd get a Banks inter cooler (stk there's none) exhaust (down pipe and back) Woods built trans with intercooler and custom DP or Swamp tunes to start. I have a big list of mods I did but to much to post.

Ya John I was looking at inter coolers and have talked to a few guys about them and most of them tell me unless I am going crazy with the motor it is not really needed. I tend to agree with you I think it is a good idea. My trailer is not that heavy and I am not going to go crazy with the motor but I still think it would help. Who did your custom tunes for you?

I would not tow without an intercooler. It helps with EGTs a lot. My toy hauler is 8500lbs dry. Loaded it's over 11000lbs eze. I tow from Cali to Oregon etc with BIG hills. My EGTs don't ever get over 1000 and pull the big grades 45-55. I also have a Banks turbo, Swamps single shot injectors, HPOP, DP custom tunes, fuel cross over, 3pod gauges, boost fooler, Diamond 3inch down pipe to a 5inch ext no muff, John Woods trans with billet internals, trans cooler with inline filter, etc.