One cylinder shuts off - Please see video

Hey guys,

I'm new to working on a Banshees and I'm having a little issue with mine.  The quad normally starts on the first or second kick even when cold.  The engine runs ok with the Choke ON, but as soon as I take the Choke OFF, one of the two cylinder shuts off, like if it wasn't getting enough fuel.  What confuses me is that sometimes the RIGHT cylinder shuts off, and sometimes the LEFT cylinder shuts off.  It is not always the same one.

I have cleaned both carbs 3 times.  

The main jets are CLEAN (did some research before and found that normally a cylinder would shut off with the choke off, because of a dirty main).

Replaced the fuel petcock with a new one.  Checked fuel lines and are good.

Spark plugs are new.

Fuel Cap flow is good.

Here is a video of whats going on.

http://youtu.be/ZwpsZZtKtP4

This happens with either the air box on, or off.

Could an air leak on the choke tube between the two be causing this?  Any suggestion will be very appreciated.  Thanks.

I think I heard a plug foul cough when the right cylinder quit. What's your temp and elevation and jetting? I know you said stock but just check

Hi thanks.  Yes, the cylinder that quits (in this case the right one, but sometimes it's the left one that quits) kind of coughs but with no smoke before going out .  If I pull the choke back on, the cylinder will fire up again.  Then push the choke back off and it will cough and go out again.  It seems like it's not getting enough fuel, but what confuses me is that it is not the same cylinder every time.

Could a choke tube that is no sealing properly cause this?

I am around 90F and at sea level. Jetting is 200 Main and 25 Pilot.

check pick-up gap, set float level, trim 1/4" off plug wire and use dielectric grease when installing caps

Hi,

Checked pickup gap and float level when cleaning the carbs last time.  Everything was OK.

Will give it a try on trimming the plug wire.  Are you thinking that maybe there is too much resistance at the end of the wire?

What size pilots? I know you said its stock but doesnt mean someone didnt change them out depending on temp and elevation...

Hi thanks,

I am at sea level and ambient temperature is about 90F.  Pilot jet is 25 and Main jet 200.

I bought the quad from a friend's cousin who bought it new on 2006, used it until 2008 and then never touched it again.  The only thing he did was put mixed gas on it and ride it.  He said he never touched anything on the engine (not even the factory transmission oil or air filter which was gone  :shrugani: ).

Hi,

Checked pickup gap and float level when cleaning the carbs last time.  Everything was OK.

Will give it a try on trimming the plug wire.  Are you thinking that maybe there is too much resistance at the end of the wire?

The end of the wire can get corroded where cap screws in. Make sure timing nubs on flywheel are clean. Set pick-up gap, check at both nubs.