clean up port vs full drag port

baxterl7333

• 3 weeks later...

dont waste your money if its a cub,builders will just feed you alot of bs,and in the end you will end up with a clean up port job anyway

lighter frame,pipes,domes,timing,and gearing will gave way more than leeting someone grind on your cylinder....theres storys i could tell you about BIG TIME engine builders whos ported cylinder and gave me domes to go with them and bikes was no faster than what i could do myself.

Edited by stroking

Not true when I drag port cubs theres a decent pile of aluminum taken out and timings adjusted just fyi, to me every little bit helps hp is hp in any shape or form and u better beleive the guy lined up next to is full tilt

Agreed. ^^^

A reputable builder will do what he says he'll do.

Stroking ' s problem is probably setup. Just because you have more power doesn't mean you'll go faster.

That's assuming you actually increased power.

Sent from a van down by the river

I honestly dont see why there should ever be a clean up port. Drag ported will see a bit of gain but so will many other things that you dont have to unbolt and send your cyl off to do. If you dont have big carbs , shearers or cpis , drag axle then do all that first. A drag axle is a big gain. If you have everything go for a drag port.

the castings have gottn a lot better in the last few eyars.  long time ago when i started working with cheeta's the transfers were nearly plugged off from casting flash at times.  then they had to have a clean up done or they did run like crap.   the porting i do on cubs is mostly to broaden the power out i feel.  and some internal realignment of ports..  i have seen a bunch of overported cubs.  or cylinders that were best suited for super light setups.  a lot of them would get so pipey they wouldnt handle much load, a missed shift, or shock on take off.  i personally dont like a bike that rides that way. 

another miss leading info is that alot of compression slows you down....{WRONG)....I SEEN enignes with 225psi run 116-120mph...(on alky).7/10milcubs... you just have to know what to set other things at....

when i port a cub i change the port timimg on the exhaust,but some (builders) just clean up the portand leave the timimg the same they tell you they drag ported it and charge you $450-500

had one tell me he never uses a degree wheel because they dont give accurate readings -_-