Suggestions On Mid Pipes

Hockey390

I have an 87 banshee that is pretty much all stock. Single K&N with modified airbox. I ride trails alot but hope to be doing dunes next season. I need some suggestions on what pipes I should be getting. I dont want to spend a whole lot, but want to get some Mid range pipes...This will probably be chaos with everyone just listing their favorite pipes, but have at it. I'm totally open to suggestions. Also give me input on buying used...And if I do, what to look out for. :ph34r:

I like my FMF Fatty's, good midrange pipe I think...but you've got alot of options as most pipes are either bottom end (like 2 into 1), top end (in-frame or out of frame drag pipes), or all-around (typically good midrange to top end). So if you're after midrange, avoid the bottom end and drag pipes and you'll have lotsa options: FMF (Fatty and SST), Pro Circuit, DMC, Toomey (T5 and TR6), Paul Turner, LRD, etc etc.

I got mine used, all you need to avoid is big dents, if you're after function then even the plating doesn't matter as long as it's not rusted through.

Trails and duning are like apples and oranges. You won't find a pipe that'll be best for both terrains. The Pt mids pull hard from bottom to top and have awesome throttle response. The powerband comes on really smooth and doesn't create much tire spin.

The PC pipes have a light switch powerband which I don't care for, but they rev a little higher. I consider them to be more of a top end pipe. Would be great for desert, but I wouldn't choose it for trails. Some love them for ported motors...helps to get that low end lack...

Fatties are a great pipe. More top-mid pipe, but kinda of inbetween the pc pipes and PT mids... great pipes, good throttle response and low end. I love the sst's the best from the fmf family...I haven't riden DMC's yet..

Bills pipes are a great all around pipe. They have a good throttle response, low end and decent top end power as well.

I'll post my personal reference from low-mid to top-mid.

PT mids ....mid

Fmf sst's ....mid

Bills ..........mid

Fmf fatties ..mid-top

Dmc???

Toomey......top end

Pc..............top end

Well I have always thought the Toomey's looked sweet, but it sounds like FMF is where I need to go. If you think otherwise please post. I mostly trail ride and hopefully will be doing dunes next year.

*****If you or anyone you know has good condition FMF fatties please PM me.

I will post that on the wanted section.

i think the t3 would be a waste but just about all the fmf lineup of pipes have real good mid range for trailin and they have reasonable top( never ridden a shee or any atv with them on)but i heard there good. also another good mid pipe is the procircuit as u heard all ready and the top end on them is crazy high so they might be moer what your looking for because there a good all round pipe.