How to get compression test?

ETR174

So if I'm forgetting something correct me but I heard that these compression tests are very simple tests that tell your best gas/oil ratio for your engine and carb set up? If this is true can I do it myself? If so what are the qualifications? If not so then would a power sports dealer be able to do this?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Get a gauge, remove spark plugs, attach said gauge, hold throttle wide open, kick engine over until the needle stops moving. Report back and someone will help you from there.

Alright thanks. Do I need gauges for both cylinders?

I am experiencing lack of air but that's because it currently has the stock filter pumped with air filter oil.

Get a gauge that has the correct thread lenght and has the shrader valve in the verry tip. Any volume added before the shrader valve will be added volume to the combustion chamber.

So it screws into the cylinder heads where the spark plugs should be? Ohhhhhhhh I get it now. Alright do I need to count the kicks or something? This may sound stupid but the engine won't start because it obviously doesn't have any spark correct?

Alright thanks. Do I need gauges for both cylinders?

I am experiencing lack of air but that's because it currently has the stock filter pumped with air filter oil.

So it screws into the cylinder heads where the spark plugs should be? Ohhhhhhhh I get it now. Alright do I need to count the kicks or something? This may sound stupid but the engine won't start because it obviously doesn't have any spark correct?

One gauge but you need to check both cylinders and no it won't spark as long as you pull the other plug wire off.

Do I have to keep the other plug in or can I take it out? Do I need to pay attention to anything either like how many kicks it takes until the gauge needle stops moving?

Both plugs out

Compression tester in one side

Ignition off

Throttle wide open

10 good kicks

GOOD LUCK!!!

Sent using Iphone5 onTapatalk

You were actually right the first time, a better reading this way

Ok thanks for clearing that up guys. I guess I could always turn the ignition off too :P. All that needs to happen is the cylinders need to compress from the kicks in order to build up pressure right?

Compression test does not tell you the best gas/oil ratio.

It does not tell you the best carb set up.

It simply tells you the cranking compression of the engine.

So like what jets to use?