Banshee novice looking for shifter issue diagnosis help

cwdaniel

I have an 02 Banshee that my son rides in the dunes. Mostly stock and reliable, pretty well used though. Last dune trip the quad got stuck got stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. No amount of fooling with it in camp would shake it loose. Being a gearhead that can fix just about anything, but with not much quad experience, I took it all apart down to splitting the case. Probably farther the needed in hindsight, oh well.

I don't see any obvious issue in the gears or shift forks. It seems like the pawl that engages the "shift star" might be sloppy and not always pushing the pins enough. Sound like a known wear issue? Other possibilities?

Any reccomendations on improving things when replacing parts? I plan on doing the clutch and re sealng the case now that its this far down.

It's too bad it's not still together. Pictures would have been nice.

Upon tear down, was there anything that appeared loose or missing?

The shift shaft jaws should be centered on the shift star.. Meaning that it should be an equal distance from the pin on the top and on the bottom.

Still, that wouldn't likely keep it from shifting out of gear.

It's a good idea to install all new seals if the cases are split.

Check the idler gear also. The bushings wear out and the idler gear gets sloppy, sometimes causing them to kick the clip off the end of the shaft.

Now that you have it apart, can you shift it ?  Sometimes the shiftshaft gets worn and can flip around or become out of adjustment.

Hollar if you need help and we can walk you through what to look for...

I wish I would have researched a bit better before I tore it all down. Even some clues were in the manual, but I went on the advice of some “experts” around the camp. I will post up some pictures later when I get home. In the meantime, yes it seems like it shifts okay. With an intermittent stall half way through gears in either direction.

The “jaws” seem centered on the arm and the spring brings it back from both directions. What seems wrong to me is the jaws appear sloppy on their pivot point on the arm. The jaw part can move out of plane/parallel from the arm. It seems like this movement prevents enough pressure on the pins to overcome the detent spring on the star part sometimes. Is there normally a lot of play in the jaw to arm pivot?

Makes sense to me this part would get beat up. The rider quite often is banging it through the gears to get through the whoops and charge a hill climb.

Buy his bottom end rebuild kit ^^^

With a shift shaft.

This is everything your going to need. Most transmissions don't go bad. It's usually something dumb. Such as what you saying, the claw on the shift shaft. Or the eccentric coming lose. If you came on sooner, you could of sent you trans to redline to be modded and ordered up fast rebuild and been ready to rock.

But today is the last day for fast. So order the complete rebuild, it has everything you need to do the bottom end. Minus shift shaft. Order that too and they'll mod it for free

if it has never been replaced  the shift shaft and adjustment pin needs replaced. most times when what your describing happens the shift shaft end turns sideways and jams in the end oif the star  it will have either 2 gears only and the shaft will stick all the way up or all the way down.  it happens a lot on worn shafts .   check the edges of the pins on the shift star  if they are really worn down it might need one of those also.  its had to tell in the pics you posted but the shift forks seem ok.  look for major burning or worn section on the engagement ears.  also check all the gears on the shafts and make sure the ones that spin spin well and no signs of burnt gears or messed up teeth.  in the manual it also shows how to look for the edges blown off the dogs that can make them slip.  since you have it all out you might as well just do a stock modified transmission.  pm me if your interested.  also the bottom end dosent look all that dirty in the pics so looks to have had at least decent maintenance through its life..  

shift shaft is worn out.  i really think your maybe going overboard on trying to narrow down exactingly whats wrong and replacing just the one part thats worn.  in these transmission anything that contacts metal is going to get worn out.  the first is always the detent alignment pin, spring that rides on, and shift shaft.  replace those only if your concerned about cost and reassemble the motor with all other needed new parts, pressure test, reinstall in bike, and go ride.  rember as fast and loud said K>I>S>S>  but stated a few times  if you want to do some worth wile upgrades  now is the time to do it, modded trans, billet basket, tested and then true/ weld crank, check piston to wall clearance, maybe new top end, and maybe a mild port, reeds etc?  thats all just the basic's for a much more reliable and fun to ride bike.