ridiculous clutch pull!

2005shee

well ive been waiting on a new stator and timing plate to come in the mail and I figured id check out my clutch problems. the clutch on the way out of the trails became really hard to pull, I mean I had to use 2 hands by the time I got to the truck. I figured it was a grooved basket but when I took it apart the basket and plates and springs ended up being almost brand new. the plates were sticking though from the oil, I had to pry them apart after I pulled them all out of the basket. the oil had a stickiness to it, I spilled some on the ground and when I stepped on it my foot stuck a little bit. I put new oil in and cleaned the plates and now it will roll with the clutch pulled in but its crazy hard to pull. also it has all six hd springs in it which I didn't know but I don't think that's the problem it was always stiff but now its ridiculous to the point were I can ride it and it came on suddenly. also I cant ride it till I get my new stator in the mail but id like to figure this clutch out. any ideas?

that's the thing I did adjust it. arm lined up with notch on case. and as for the springs it wasn't that hard before. and the cable is almost new too but I cleand it anyway and its still hard.

I would also suggest lighter springs. I have had clutch issues ( pushrod mushroomed and was stuck in the mainshaft). I would check the mainshaft inside make sure the pushrod travels freely inside the mainshaft and that there are no issues with your ball bearing. the pushrod should come out with a magnet easily.. if not you may have build up in there(around you pushrod which makes it tight) and would make it hard to pull as separate problem from the hd springs. You should also look at you where the clutch cable terminates.. take it off pull the part that goes down in the case and see if it is worn and replace if needed... hd spring requires more force to work the clutch and wore a flat spot in mine from where the pushrod touches it. Inspect the ends of pushrod for wear and replace it if needed.. I replace when I do a clutch job.  hope this helps

I guess that would help but it still doesn't help me figure out whats going on lol. ive had this thing 3 weeks and have had it mess up 5 or 6 times, nothing big just knid of annoying.

Im not exactly sure what you mean by pushrod im pretty sure you talking about the rod with the Phillips head on it and if so its fine I pulled it out. also when the plates and spring were out it pulled fine no hanging up or anything so im pretty sure it has to do with the springs or plates one.

there is a ball and 2 pushrods. the short one has the screw head on it and for adjusting free play.  there is a long pushrod in that hole that runs to other side of case.  And a ball bearing goes between the two rods. the long rod and will come out with a magnet and must be checked.

you have a service manual or clymers book? there is a service manual in the tech section of this forum.  look at it and you will  see the rod... your supposed to put grease on the ends of both rods and the ball when you service the clutch. I only telling you this bc mine messed up like your telling me and I rode more !!  then no clutch and ended up having to pull the motor and split the cases in order to get the rod out.

it should. but I would check the long rod and grease both ends as well as ball bearing. it is worth checking to make sure that it come out of the mainshaft easily. the part that goes into your case on the other side should be checked as well... mine was worn pretty bad from hd springs. these parts are cheap and checking this could save you a ton of work.  if it is not your problem then that's good but putting the grease on the rods and bearing is very important to keep from welding them. If all this is good and right then you can rule them out but its very similar to what mine did. good luck

I will leave you to it, to check your rod and ball you can leave the plates in just take the springs off and use magnet to get them out .  There should be No problem with them coming out ... if its hard to get out then you have a problem. I will check back and hope you have it fixed.