Ported 450r very very close to beating me!

BAMF87

Guys just went to the dunes with some friends, both have 450r,s one is ported and cam bigger piston and dasa, other is same without the porting. Well when dragging the ported one would get me by half a bike if I didn't shift absolutely perfect. He had straight 8 paddles.

My bike has a frest top end with HjR dune port, +4 timing, stock crank, chariot reeds, fmf fattys, 28mm pwk's, 13/41 gearing with crappy v paddles. I know I need to change sprockets and get better paddles but I thought I would be pulling harder on him. I rode the ported 450r and it hooks up and pulls hard as fuck

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion (not a Banshee expert), your gearing is off like you said. With your pipes, you should make enough power to take that 450 down a little easyer.

I have 20x11  v-paddle tires on 10" black labels and I have power around 65. I can turn them easy with 14-41 and 15-42. You should do the same.

(just my opinion)

ANY "ported half ass motor is going to gain at LEAST 5 hp from going to most any drag pipe over most any "trail pipe"    hell i have seen 10hp over fmf to shear just because of the added RPM the shear will support..  its a pipe action thing.  most trail pipes run in a lower rpm range.  they are made that way to make them more fun in trail riding..  drag pipes are just that  drag pipes  high rev pipes.  most start at about 7500rpm and support up to and over 11,000 rpm's......   then there is the welp its ported for trails.  bla bla bla  i rember matt posting up a lil 350 that he did with lower than most exhaust numbers (  191 duration  not sure if thats what it really was or what)  but that lil motor made a lot of power overall.  nice gradual curve on the dyno graph he posted.  hell most "trail" ports i have seen were pathetic clean ups and resulted in a 192 to 195 duration exhaust..  so  hmm  the hjr port should be fine

yes the gearing blows.. i really dont understand why anyone runs a 13 tooth on the front.  and even worse i have seen some 13/45 bikes and 14/45 bikes out there  

"shitty V paddles "  welp  you said it right there.  now after you get some real tires the bike is going to want to wheelie like a mad man and then you will have to chop the throttle a lot unless the sand is very very dry.   so then there goes the 4 strokes...   and at least around here they 4 choke crowd races all of about 200ft.  bla

other thing i see ALL the time is horrible setup everywhere else.  bad ignition, crappy fuel, ( what you mean its bad  its been in an open container in the sun for 9 months?) crappy built chassis work,  bad flywheel, bad overall tune up on the entire bike..  i'm not saying this is your particula situation but i see things like this a LOT.

to me it wouldnt be worth the costs for new paddles  unless you were just setting there spinning...

pipes would help the most ....14 or 15 launch in 2nd

a ported 450r with a dasa and big cam no airbox will make 60hp and put most of it to the ground especially in a trail type environment

and at least around here they 4 choke crowd races all of about 200ft.  bla

They run out of steam in 4th and 5th? I find they do with the mild drag 450's ive ran.

OP if your bike is fun, id leave it alone. You add more power, different tires etc and you will probably do better. But what happens when they get faster or someone else is. That's how drag bikes form.

You have a VERY clean bike. Id threw some at least some CPI's if not some shearers just because i liked how they work for open runs. I went from t6's to t5's to CPIs. It was crazy to see the top end difference with CPI.

Thanks I plan on cpi pipes because they aren't that expensive and have midrange power. The 450r made 53 hp on the dyno at racersedgeaz. I'll try and get my setup working good and after they upgrade more I'll go 4mil. Until then I'm happy. They spent way more money on their motors than I did so I'm happy to still win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free