First banshee ever! What to do?

Damn. Yeah i wanna do it right the first time. Its gonna be a long project either way. Im being patient and writing everything down. Once i get the roller all built i will concentrate on the engine. I want it to be sick.

My buddy wants to do his roller first to. I think you would be better off to committing to the motor first. Remember, once the cylinders go out to a builder they won't be back for a while. Then use that time to get the chassis ready. Dunno, just my opinion though.

Exactly why I asked the questions I did. That thing has slow ass pipes in it and you thought it was fast. Every bodies idea of fast is relative. If a stock raptor is a fast machine for you and your are happy with that power then most of the stuff commented on here will prob get you wrapped around a tree and life flighted out. You would prob be more than happy with a good stock build and making it reliable. Some decent pipes, some cooling mods, decent suspension and ride the piss out of it.

This is the way to go for a first banshee IMO, you can make a stock stroke bike very fun, specially what your going to be doing with it, Im a fan of Kevin at HJR for building motors, redline, FAST, White knuckle, just give them a call and talk to them, anyone of those will give you good information on your first build and will help you make the decision on which route to go. If your gunna have a go fast motor Im partial to a good chassis/suspension setup to go along with it, but your looking at more dinero. Post pics as you get it going.

Buy the 4 mil. Your wallet will hate you, but you'll thank us. Send your cylinders top case and trans out. Cylinders for a 4 mil port of choice with the 4 mil domes or your stock head modded. Top case to get port matched to the cylinders. Get your trans modded to just shift better. Get a billet basket and and a quality clutch. You can get a billet water pump if you'd like. A new modded shift shaft, modded star, pancake bearing, clutch cable, and get the shift forks checked out. Don't forget the washers that you must fold to lock in place. Just replace those. I know this seems overwhelming but this is all necessary to get the most out of your motor. I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing. But this is all the stuff I did. I also got the bushings in the cases replaced when my builder saw they were bad.

This ^^^ is why I asked what he was doing. That's all good stuff you've listed. But he prob isn't riding like you do. He could get by without alot of that. No need to cut the trans for a fairly stock motor. Or case port matching. Etc, etc, all opinions. No bad stuff, just possibly more than some people need in their first build. I know PLENTY of people that have no business riding a ported 4 mill. Just too much for some.

IMO a stock stroke bike with non ported juggs is just fine for your first bike. Enjoy it and ride it. And if you do mess up with building it, it's just stock cylinders and crank which are cheap and easy to replace. You can do suspension mods and other stuff to the chassis to better enjoy your ride. Non engine mods will still be there if or when you decide to go bigger.

Getting into the "while im in my motor, ill add just one more go fast mod" sense of mind can get real expensive quick. Once you add enough power, the clutch wont hold, bike wont shift and/or traction will be crap. Those all can be solved with money, time and set up. Just think ahead and good luck.

Edited by RagunCajun

You have a good point. And another thought too is after working on the roller i can easily just lose interest. But once that motor goes out to get rebuilt theres a very small chance i would ever lose interest lol. I have been wanting a banshee pretty much my whole life and its something i look forward to finishing. I love working on these things. Still trying to figure out what i wanna do with the motor though. Stock crank would be the way to go for me but i really want to go big lol. I found cylinders today so im going to get those soon and have them worked. Is porting the cylinders a good mod for a stock motor? Will i notice a difference?

You have a good point. And another thought too is after working on the roller i can easily just lose interest. But once that motor goes out to get rebuilt theres a very small chance i would ever lose interest lol. I have been wanting a banshee pretty much my whole life and its something i look forward to finishing. I love working on these things. Still trying to figure out what i wanna do with the motor though. Stock crank would be the way to go for me but i really want to go big lol. I found cylinders today so im going to get those soon and have them worked. Is porting the cylinders a good mod for a stock motor? Will i notice a difference?

There's stock cylinder bikes running around making 100hp. Just get it done by somebody reputable. Cam at Redline seems to be the man here lately. A decent port job, carbs and pipes is worth around 65-75 horse usually. That'll feel like a rocket to ya prob.

I was looking at redlines prices and services and they seem to be pretty reasonable. Im gonna give them a call and see what they say. I think il go with the stock crank for now and just have the cylinders ported. Do i have to have anything special done to the crank? I hear alot of people talk about having the crank welded and trued? Why would they do this? I understand the truing part i think but why weld it? Shouldnt it already be welded? I dont know jack about cranks so please bear with me lol.

porting stock juggs is the best mod per dollar mod there is.

Since you will be calling Redline, just ask them everything. They will best answer your questions. The price of a 4mil will only add the cost of the actual crank to the final price. The juggs need to be ported for a 4mil stroker but a builder can port the juggs for that while doing the port work for no extra cost.

Ok. Thats good to know. For my first banshee build i am gonna just keep it simple and just keep the stock crank and have the cylinders ported and get some pipe and do some other mods that i can. Once i get the bike rolling and running i will run it for a season and then maybe go deeper in the engine. I want to get used to the bike first lol.