Starting Problems

Big Herb

I just got back off of deployment and have run into some problems with my 'Shee. I had it out at the track and ran it fine for two days in somewhat muddy conditions and then last Friday as I took it for a spin and it died and wouldn't start again. We tried replacing plugs, tapping on the bowls to loosen floats and nothing worked. I trucked it and left and a half hour later it started up but then bogged down and stalled after about 10-15 seconds of running and wouldn't start again. When you try to start it will somewhat backfire out the back and try to start but never quite get going. Here are some of the things I've tried:

-New Plugs

-Drained gas and remixed at a little leaner mixture (32:1 stock, I went 36:1 with mods thinking it might be getting too much oil)

-Took the carbs apart and cleaned them, didn't really see any dirt though

-Air Cleaner is clean

-TORS equipped

Whenever I empty the carbs out by tipping the 'Shee up and kick it to flush everything out, she will start for a few seconds and then die and then it's back to kicking it over and over and watching fuel come out the hose at the bottom of the bowl. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or has had the same problem and might know how to fix it. Thanks in advance!

See ya out there!

Lucas

watching fuel come out the hose at the bottom of the bowl

Hearing this tells me that your carb(s) are filling up with fuel. This happens because either your needle valve is shot, (the part that connects to the floats) which would allow fuel to free flow into the carb, or the more likely scenario, is that the needle valve has some crud in it making it stick open. This is why you see fuel dumping out the overflow. More often times than not, the carbs are not disassembled enough to really clean them out the proper way. You have to completely disassemble them.

Thanks for the tip Boonman...I was going to break them down yesterday but the auto hobby shop on base was closed down so I couldn't use the compressed air and solvent tank. I had looked at the little rubber type needle that the float opens and closes but didn't see any dirt, it might be up in there so I'll take and blow it out real good and get a thorough cleaning done on it. Thanks again!

Lucas

The same problem happened to me too. After i raced in very muddy conditions, my banshee never ran like it did. What had happened was, my idle jet was completely clogged with dirt. If you take apart your carbs, you will need to take off the float assembly. Where your float pin was, stick a very small flat head screwdriver down in the hole and unscrew the idle jet. An observation of it should tell you that its crammed with dirt. Simply take an air hose and clean it out. That should help you and get you back on your way. You will also want to keep your airfilter as clean as possible.