2006 Banshee Tuning Issues - REALLY need help/advice!

ceedubb200

I also got these new ITP wheels and Sand Star Paddles along with the Banshee that I'll sell to someone on here for a very reasonable price (don't mind shipping either) if anyone needs a set.  They've never been used, were boxed up along with the bike and I don't ride sand much, more trails and rough terrain.  Please feel free to message me if interested and we can figure something out.  

0ftg.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

The reason I'm taking it back to Power Yamaha is I've already sunk tons of cash into this bike and would rather not pay a different shop, i.e. Top Dog Motors, to do all of the work again and shell out another $300-$500.  Does that make more sense to you?  I've even had two different private mechanics come to my garage and work on it, guys that likely have as much experience as any other enthusiast on this website, and they can't seem to nail the problem either.  I also paid each one of them $200 for coming to my place and taking their time to help me out.  And I'm fairly certain at least a couple of the certified tech's at Power Yamaha must MIGHT own a Banshee or three, and have POSSIBLY worked on them in the past, but you're probably right, since they haven't been on a showroom floor for 7 years, they likely hardly even know these bikes exist or what a two-stroke twin engine even does.  They probably don't even know how to mix fuel since all they've ever worked on is 4-Strokes and even more exclusively, fuel injected engines.  I might as well have taken it to Kuni BMW and had them do the work.  Hindsights always 20/20 though, right?  FFS! 

Instead of arguing with N2o,you should stop and think for a second about what he said....he actually gave you the BEST advise out of ALL the posts in this thread.  You DID start this thread looking for help right?

Cut your losses with those dealer/ individuals and actually GET YOUR BIKE FIXED...by heeding his advise.

And you are mistaken, if those "mechanics " you hired couldn't fix it then they are complete 'TARDS and you wasted money with them...these things are so basic its not even funny. There are any number of GOOD shops in your area that can have that thing running ASAP. Also quite a few members on here that live in your general area that could do the same.

Think about listening to the best advice you received here.

Instead of arguing with N2o,you should stop and think for a second about what he said....he actually gave you the BEST advise out of ALL the posts in this thread.  You DID start this thread looking for help right?

Cut your losses with those dealer/ individuals and actually GET YOUR BIKE FIXED...by heeding his advise.

And you are mistaken, if those "mechanics " you hired couldn't fix it then they are complete 'TARDS and you wasted money with them...these things are so basic its not even funny. There are any number of GOOD shops in your area that can have that thing running ASAP. Also quite a few members on here that live in your general area that could do the same.

Think about listening to the best advice you received here.

Yes, I do realize that's an option and has always been an option, but as previously stated, I'm trying to avoid spending an additional $300 or so if at all possible.  Aside from Top Dog Racing and Cascade Innovations, what other shops in my area do you recommend I take it to?  Top Dog is very expensive as they put the bike on a Dyno to jet it, not to mention they would likely want to pull and clean both carbs again before doing so even though as they sit right now you could eat off of them.  

Yes, I do realize that's an option and has always been an option, but as previously stated, I'm trying to avoid spending an additional $300 or so if at all possible.  Aside from Top Dog Racing and Cascade Innovations, what other shops in my area do you recommend I take it to?  Top Dog is very expensive as they put the bike on a Dyno to jet it, not to mention they would likely want to pull and clean both carbs again before doing so even though as they sit right now you could eat off of them.  

I'd ask N2o where he would take it.  Also, if the original shops couldn't fix it the 1st time( and these bikes are too easy to fix, thankfully) why do you think they can this time? Its such a clean bike,,why let 200.00 keep it from running right,or worse,blow it up and cost more??

Chalk up the first 300.00 to a lesson learned and move on.

Twister, Redline, White Knuckle, and several other VERY knowledgeable shops are within the area. Ive dealt with power for years, they are 3 miles from me. First, they are fucking CLUELESS with banshees. Second, they WILL CHARGE you if they "think" they have a fix for it. Ive got a hard time thinking that you paid ANY knowledgeable person 200 dollars to come look at your junk that wasn't able to fix it.You have a BONE STOCK SETUP with pipes and a filter! These things are as simple as they come.If this "super dupper knows it all guy" couldn't figure it out in just a very few minutes you need to re-evaluate your perception of his or her knowledge. And who takes payment without fixing the problem? Also, Ive got a hard time thinking that Sean put your junk on a dyno to jet it with such a basic setup. Hes literally setup hundreds of this same setup Im sure. I doubt seriously he needs a dyno to jet it!  You sir, are going about this in a very wrong way. Dealerships are for acquiring OEM parts and that is all. Either take it back to Sean and have him fix it, or take it to one of the others Ive listed. Hell, even Dave has a really good chance of doing it for you, and while it wont cost you cash, he might require a sexual favor for his time.

Could be wet side crank seal brother. After sitting for that long, for sure check needles and seats, Fuel adjustment screw, and float height. Purchase a service manual asap. What size jets are in the carb at this moment?? What is your air screw setting, needle setting? Is it smoking what seems to be an unusual amount? If you don't know what an unusual amount is, i suggest looking at some videos of banshees running. You say it has a timing plate but don't tell the setting.

Give us some more info on this and it will be squared away.

Dude bring that shiny heap over. I wouldn't charge ya anything. Maybe a lil handy like N20 said. I'm sure we could work something out.

How far away from me are you?

I really wouldn't take it back to a dealership. We've all had these things for years and can all tell horror stories of our times when we were like you and thought a dealer was good for fixing stuff. They are for buying. Bout it.

Could be wet side crank seal brother. After sitting for that long, for sure check needles and seats, Fuel adjustment screw, and float height. Purchase a service manual asap. What size jets are in the carb at this moment?? What is your air screw setting, needle setting? Is it smoking what seems to be an unusual amount? If you don't know what an unusual amount is, i suggest looking at some videos of banshees running. You say it has a timing plate but don't tell the setting.

Give us some more info on this and it will be squared away.

Thanks for your input, really appreciate.  Timing is at +3.  After talking with Dave5.0, agreed to drop the bike off at his shop tomorrow (thanks Dave) and he's gonna give it a thorough look.  Found out tonight after loading it up into the 3/4 ton Ford, the bike is only running on one cylinder as the right hand pipe was completely cold to the touch, while the let hand pipe was scalding hot.  Called Dave and let him know what was going on right away. Guess we'll find out!  Thanks everyone in advance for all your input.  Will update as soon as we have it figured. ~cw

10:1 odds its your jetting.  I know you put in the "Toomey perfect jet kit".....but there is a problem with that statement and I have never liked the idea of a "perfect jet kit."  Reason being, they aren't perfect......no motor is the same.  Your bike may like a 310main and mine runs like piss until I drop in a 320......so buying a specific kit isn't going to work. 

Also I bet you any money says that the Toomey kit is JUST solely for their exhaust........not including the K&N.......which would lean you out.  Since your new to this we will take it easy on you when it comes to jetting.  My bike did a similar thing when I first bought it and knew nothing about banshee's.  Left side would run....and the right side would run when you hammered on the throttle past 1/2 way.........thankfully I noticed it relatively quick and shut it down.  The problem was having too lean of a pilot jet in the carbs.........(pilot jet is the metering hole that allows fuel into the motor from idle on)   

Anytime you allow these machines to "inhale" or "exhale" any different than they used to.........you must also change the jetting.  Remember.....2.strokes live and die based on the amount of fuel they are fed as they cant get enough lubrication if you don't allow them to swallow enough fuel.

If you remember.......what Jets came included in your jetting kit?  like what numbers.........and also.....what elevation and temp are you at right now.  Temperature and elevation also vastly effect your jetting.