Another "best pipes for Serval" discussion.

jayzx10r

I've been trying to find some info on why drag pipes work better on a midrange Serval and I found this post on ATV Dragracers (thanks, more-torque) and thought I'd share it.

It's the first thing I've read that makes sense to me as to why a pipe designed for more pulses per second would work well as a midrange pipe in this application.

I'm just looking for an awesome midrange pipe to compliment the duner friendly porting the Serval offers to motor the hell out of Glamis Dunes....

Discuss??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We actually tried some high compression domes, and cranking the timing to get more grunt, but it was not to be. We only found new levels of deto, with very little gains in the bottom end. lol Remember that the Serval Cub is the Cub with options. You can even port it to be exactly like you favorite drag cub setup!

In over-simplified terms here is what is going on with the Serval cub.

You have to consider that the pipes that we use have been crafted and re-crafted as following the progression of the banshee cylinders. With the exeption of T6s, most pipes make more power as the airflow and heat/energy of the motors exhaust goes up. But when we gain heat without gaining much airflow, the pipe gets peaky, and works at higher rpms. The pipe's mean temp. goes up. There is more energy for the pipe to work, but the hotter pipe acts shorter, so you typically loose torque.

When you gain airflow, but not much heat, the opposite is true. You cool the pipe; it acts longer. The motor will have more bottom end, and less of a "hit" coming into the sweet spot of the pipe.

The torque pipes, FMF,Slps, and kind-of T5s, are designed to accent airflow, especially at lower rpm on smaller motors, so they make good low end torque. High rpm pipes (drag pipes) typically start off shorter and are designed to function with more airflow and more heat.

So how does that matter with the Serval? The Serval has the airflow of a well designed/modern 421cc motor, with some less heat of a high exhaust. So the pipe acts longer. The "drag pipes" function as if they were longer, more low-end-based pies. Then the added powerstroke of the low exhaust makes the motor more efficient at converting the energy into torque. The pipes carried overrev like crazy, because the pipe works well at the high rpm by design. And we have a winner.

There are a couple reasons that the torque pipes are not well suited for the Serval, at least with the setups that we tested. First, they shine when they are capable of assisting the airflow of a motor that is struggling with airflow. But the Serval is not that motor. It has more airflow than the poor T5 can handle, so the "maxed-out" torque pipe has nothing to offer. As a matter of fact, the curve is pathetic in that the torque pipe has worse overrev than ever from too much airflow for the pipes design.

It is possible that a very low compression setup, with stk timing would help the torque pipe's curve in the upper rpm, but the efficiency loss will prevent that sort of setup from comparing well to the high rpm pipe's setup.

Some food for thought..."

Nothing to discuss. ^^^^That about covers it.

Word.

Earlier tyler said that Nate couldn't be trusted, and that he was a hack. Apparently we need more info other than this. It doesn't meet the standards of BHQ.

hahahhaaa if mccoy is a hack what does that say for everybody else? Id let that "hack" build me motors any day.

Regardless. There are real builders creating real numbers from these less than impressive cylds. Nathan can run his cock holster about all this bs and flap his suck hole to all his mystery findings but the real builders will move forward with how to make them work great.

So here we have a debate starting.

Looks like it's going to be about bashing Nate McCoy over engine assembly issues. (As I recall reading Tyler saying somwthing about not trusting any motor assembled by Nate.)

Not relevant. The post is about the explanation as to "Why the drag pipes work well on the Serval motors".

So before we get three pages deep with stories of someone somebody knew one time who had a problem with a McCoy motor..........get back on topic.

Nate posted a explanation as to "Why" a style of pipe works well. (Something certain members here have openly admitted to not knowing.)

So if you can't hold your own in a debate about the how's and why's of engine design and pipe functions........then stick to eating your Cheerios and reading the back of the cereal box.

The "post" is about how and why drag pipes work well on a Serval. If anyone has a contradicting view......feel free to explain yourself as to how you come to your opposing perspective.

• Like 1

Now that comment was just stupid.

I'm keeping it ON topic!

You have a way of opposing me, yet you never have any info to contribute.

I agree with the quoted article. If you disagree, feel free to explain.

If you guys stay on topic people may actually learn something here, i know cam at redline does some really cool stuff with shearer inframes. i dont know what all he does but Making them longer, changing stinger length and diameter and so on. It all has a impact on how and why a engine acts a certain way. It would be great to hear how and why from a proven builder like redline.

If you guys stay on topic people may actually learn something here, i know cam at redline does some really cool stuff with shearer inframes. i dont know what all he does but Making them longer, changing stinger length and diameter and so on. It all has a impact on how and why a engine acts a certain way. It would be great to hear how and why from a proven builder like redline.

People don't want to hear facts. They want imaginary shit that makes no sense.

This topic has been covered a million times. I've seen and posted the numbers that Cam is making with his 4mm Servals with different pipes.

There is ZERO reason to go changing pipe dimensions for a 4mm Serval.

Now, our 18DMs are a different story. I mod my own, but Cameron does his when customers want to run in-frames. They like a certain pipe set up. And his and mine make the same power on the same motors.