should i buy a banshee or not?

They last for years. Even if you have to re ring a banshee ((which takes a couple hours and little $) it's better than fixing the other shit that can go wrong on a Scrambler. I just put a new ECU or whatever on mine that failed for no reason. 3 yrs old and probably 50

Or less Hrs. But for leisurely trail riding the Polaris is better.

lol whats all this talk about scrammys, isn't this banshee hq? i found a real sweet looking 03 shee LE with FMF pipes +2 a-arms and +2 rear axel along with elka shocks, this thing looks beast but i'm not the best wrencher are they lower maintenance then a 4-stroke? i mean 450's don't last long right, my sled is a 2-stroke if that says anything

Buy it...I own two Banshee's, three yfz450s, and a raptor 250. Every bike other than the Banshee's are for my kids and wife. I would rather fix and maintain my 2 strokes any day.  I've had my '96 on the same bore since '96, clean the air filter,change the oil, treat it to a new chain and sprockets before they are bad enough to break, and the bike will last. Be good to it and it will be good to you.

do you have to tune them lots, or do they just need to be tuned right for your altitude?

They say one jet size is good for difference of 30 degrees on a stock bike. I run the same jets year round in my stockish bike, a little rich for a 90 degree day, but it doesn't foul plugs, and I still ride it down in the '40s in winter. Done that for years with no problem.

lol what do you mean change oil, don't you just mix gas with oil? what is there for regular maintenance? filter, plugs, oil what else? sorry for being a pain in the @$$

Transmission takes its own oil.  Keep in mind that a good premix oil is gonna add about 9 bucks to every 4 gallons of gas. But since their are no valves to adjust or timing chains to go bad, I'm O.K. with that expence.

Always run premium fuel, always mix  at least 32:1 ratio, that's a pint of oil to 4 gal of gas. Or buy a mix cup to mix more or less fuel accurately.  (alot of people run 40:1 or less, but 32:1 is widely considered the safest choice)

If you're willing to do maintenance, you will soon be competent in doing your own repairs. With a Clymers manual and the guys here, it's really easy to learn about the Banshee.

I say listen to hoppedupandcutdown- hes talking some sense- i have no mechanical skills at all really but have a motor mechanic brother and the guys on here for advice and the satisfaction you get from working on the banshees is great especially in a world now made up of only new 4 strokes- all my friends ride big raptors etc  and they still can't admit i have more fun on my shee and theirs cost 2/3 times as much as mine.

Get the banshee and make it your own and another + point- you will NEVER struggle to get parts- oem or aftermarket due to them being built from '87-2010 and this means the market is competetive = good deals

If you know nothing about motors and carburetors.....and don't want to.....stick with a 4-stroke. Those will run flawlessly till they start needing a push start. (At that point your valves have ruined your head and it's time to drop it off somewhere and spend big coin on a full rebuild.)

Or buy a Banshee........and plan on getting very familiar with your motor and your tools.

This is not a sport for Sallys with no mechanical ability.

• Like 1