New material that will change the world of Racing

Lets circle back to windys comment about helium filled tires. anybody try this? Im sure he was joking but what would it really do? It would have to lighten the bike a tiny bit. maybe good for that extra tenth.

isnt it like 100 pounds gets you 1/10 of a sec?

And no. I think they tried this with a football on myth busters and didn't see a difference with

LMFAO

That's been a joke of mine since back in my BMX days. I can see it now......."Windy is responsible for the latest trend of running Helium in your tires".....

Instead of internet punks telling 100 mph stories, they will instead be telling tall tails of jumping ridiculous heights and distance thanks to Helium balloon technology. Then will begin the trend of running much larger tires all around for more hangtime. "Dude! What do you think would happen if I filled my frame with it too?" LOL Carry on....

I don't see a material like this going viral with the parts manufacturers, however it's not out of the question for someone like Weisco, Wossner, or WSM to make some small batch pistons out of this stuff. Cost would be nuts but guys are already paying a left nut for cheetah, DM, DMX pistons. Maybe a builder might do a set of domes with it to be on par with temp capabilities of the piston... I would't see it any farther then that though.

I don't see a material like this going viral with the parts manufacturers, however it's not out of the question for someone like Weisco, Wossner, or WSM to make some small batch pistons out of this stuff. Cost would be nuts but guys are already paying a left nut for cheetah, DM, DMX pistons. Maybe a builder might do a set of domes with it to be on par with temp capabilities of the piston... I would't see it any farther then that though.

It may take a while, but I don't see the performance industry staying with regular old aluminum forever. I hope our industry will take a step forward into technology advancements. I cross my fingers :shrugani:

isnt it like 100 pounds gets you 1/10 of a sec?

And no. I think they tried this with a football on myth busters and didn't see a difference with

Correct. Can't recall if that applies to 1/8th mile or 1/4.

Yeah Mythbusters busted it as far as hang time and passing distance.

Funny you say that, I just e-mailed performance power materials about 2-stroke pistons in general.The return e-mail said,"they are exploring both the four stroke and two stroke markets". He is supposed to e-mail later this week hopefully conserning 2-stroke pistons.

Wonder how this stuff compares to the carbon-carbon pistons.                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Hopefully the only thing that doesn't compare is the cost. Carbon pistons vurtually have no expansion and are lighter than the greens it takes to buy one. Not to get off topic, but did they ever perfect the carbon pistons zilla?

LMFAO

That's been a joke of mine since back in my BMX days. I can see it now......."Windy is responsible for the latest trend of running Helium in your tires".....

Instead of internet punks telling 100 mph stories, they will instead be telling tall tails of jumping ridiculous heights and distance thanks to Helium balloon technology. Then will begin the trend of running much larger tires all around for more hangtime. "Dude! What do you think would happen if I filled my frame with it too?" LOL Carry on....

Without even googling the helium thing, the molecule is so small, the tires would leak down quick as it passes through the rubber. I also believe it is more temperature sensitive and the pressure would be vary variable due to slight changes in temperature. As far as helium filled frames. If you pressurized the frames it probably wouldn't be lighter the atmospheric pressure air. My thought on that is negative pressure in the frame. (I.E vacuum = no air- lightest there is).

Also as far as the Carbon pistons, I've never heard if them but I'd think they would burn. As far as this new aluminum, it may be good for fuel economy but deto is deto. The mixture is wrong and it's still gonna happen. You would be looking at a colder plug (so it wouldnt glow at that temp)and different oil ratio to combat piston wear IMO.

LMFAO

Without even googling the helium thing, the molecule is so small, the tires would leak down quick as it passes through the rubber. I also believe it is more temperature sensitive and the pressure would be vary variable due to slight changes in temperature. As far as helium filled frames. If you pressurized the frames it probably wouldn't be lighter the atmospheric pressure air. My thought on that is negative pressure in the frame. (I.E vacuum = no air- lightest there is).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2