Whats The First Mod To A Banshee?

nickban8

Temp gauge should be the first thing. All the mods in the world won't help shit if you end up overheating and killing your engine. Its nice insurance when you start messing with air filters and pipes so that you don't run it lean and overheat. You can buy em for $30-80 or you could make your own using a meat thermometer for about $15.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you get that Clymer's manual, take the Banshee apart and grease a few key areas!

This isn't really a mod, but it should be done as early as possible to a new Banshee. You'll be thanking yourself in couple of years.

There are a few design/assembly flaws in the Banshee that allow components to rust together. If these parts are coated in Grease or antiseize, the rust will be minimized or stopped completely. The key areas are:

The long upper A-arm bolt: Just remove the bolt, cover it with grease and re-install it. If you don't do this, the bolt will be rusted to the sleave with in a couple of years and you will only have two options to get it out: BFH (big friggin hammer) or Sawzall. :angry:

The swingarm pivot bolt: Same thing, remove it and cover it with grease. Then reinstall.

Rear axle carrier: Disasseble the rear axle carrier and coat everything with grease, including the splines in the axle. You can even put a grease zerk in the carrier to keep is filled with grease. Otherwise you'll need a press or BFH to get the axle out after only a couple of years.

TORS=throttle override system

Its basically the stock computer that stops the motor from revving when the throttle is stuck wide open. Eventually they fail and makes the motor do different things like not rev out or no spark....some people will also call the carb tops the tors.....To disconnect them, disconnect the parking brake switch on the handlebars and follow the wire towards the gas tank to a wire connector, Disconnect it. There is also a little black box above the left exhaust w/ a 3-wire plug, disconnect it..

Mods:

K&N w/ flange and air box mod

Pipes to YOUR riding style and terrain

Cool head

Shorter swingarm if your running knobby tires. All the power in the world is useless w/o getting it to the ground. A lot of people on here cut and reweld the stock swingarm. Do a search, good info.

Boysen petals

+4 timing key or adjustable plate

This is what I'd suggest to anyone to start w/ then keep reading and learn on here. There is a ton of info.....Your shee won't even be close to the same w/ just these mods..

I ordered the K+N Filter for my banshee, now were do I get the flang? Also I'm considering buying a coolhead. Which one is the best for the money? My pipes are Gnarley's so i would like to do a something to boost my mid range a little more.

A lot of people on here have been getting Noss heads and really like them, quality, and service.... :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...