Piston Install

04_blu_shee

2 pokes can be done by hand . Dont forget....You usually want to gap the rings first before install. Check and make sure there is about a .012 gap with the rings stuck in the cylinder and not on a piston.

Isn't the ring gap supposed to be calculated according to piston/bore size and whether or not the piston is forged or cast? Or is that just piston free play? I just thought that a bigger piston ran bigger ring gaps due to he fact that it would expand more and smaller pistons got less ring gap. Correct me if I'm over thinking it.

Ring gap on about any bore size most guys will run is safe to say about .012 It has nothing to do here with piston material type.

When you put new rings in a newly honed cylinder you will essentially be filing the outer edge of the rings with the rough surface of the bore. You are also smoothing the rough bore. When you do this it heats up the rings a bunch and makes them longer while they are hot. If there is not enough gap for the rings to expand then they will start pressing on the bore very hard heating them up even more ruining the tension they are supposed to have and worst case and fairly common a ring will snag in the exhaust port ruining your new rebuild , bore , piston etc.

i believe wiseco recomends  .004" ring end gap for every 1" diameter of bore.  in other words a 3 inch bore piston would be .012"  The larger diameter the piston the more the ring will grow when heated.  FWIW  all the wisecos i have used seem to come out of the box with about .012 to 0.013" Not saying they are all right there but thats what ive seen.

^^^^ I see that too with wisecos. WSM pistons are great pistons but you really have to make sure you gap the rings , they can have almost no gap. Thats yet another reason I say to start your bike up and run for no more than 30 seconds at least a few times with a full cool down in between. Then 1 minute a few times. You can then do a few short rides. After that ride it like it owes ya money.