Something like a barnfind. Newbie.

I'll start off by saying I'm a newb here, and this site looks really helpful and some neat shit on here, and I sincerely apologize for this long ass post...lol

Now on to my junk. When I was about 13-14 years old, my dad and older brother decided to buy a '97 banshee they found. So they buy it, I ride the hell out of it do a little flat drags at the time, all stock of course but for a 13 year old kid I was in heaven ya know, ***but remember, this was 9 years ago im 22 now. Well after about 6 of riding it wouldn't start, had no spark. Sent it off to have it fixed and about a month went by and the guy told us to come and get it that he couldn't figure it out (keep in mind this guy does this for a living) so we go get it, and he tells us he doesn't know what to do, that he has rebuilt it, bored it .60 over, rebuilt the carbs, but what the hell good did that do it wasn't getting any spark. Well that just pissed my dad off and we brought it home put it in the garage and after a while forgot about it. Well...9 years go by and yesterday I told my dad I'd give $600 if he wanted out, because its just rotting.

Here is the scene to where the banshee had glued itself to the floor for 9 years.

ABE007ED-178F-4ED4-AA0F-0C4ACB168B89-213

Can't really see anything right? Well here's a little better view with some stuff knocked off.

69B2604C-A531-439D-9AD0-4932D0DD79DF-213

Finally after an hour of digging...

BF61B330-31DF-40E9-A1AC-3093AD2FE354-213

My buddy rides a banshee and also has a parts bike, last night I decided before cleaning the carbs and changing the oil and all of that stuff I would just focus on getting fire. So I from my buddies parts bike I switched to mine the stator (which looked rusty and probably faulty), the tors, the coil, and the Cdi. Still no fire. I put my stator back on because it looks like new compared to his. And I know this sounds retarded but an ohm meter really confuses the hell out of me as has like 20 different settings so I have no idea what I'm doing with it. So I guess more or less what I'm trying to say, is where do I go from here? Once again I'm sorry for the long post...

I'll definitely try that after work. See I switched mine out with the one on the parts bike last night. I didn't really know what it was but I was swapping everything that unplugged.

That link is like the god of wiring banshees, holy crap. Thanks buddy!

Recommend a clymers manual. First off unplug all tors connections and the parking brake switch. Brake switch is that wire coming from the clutch handle. The tors include the two yellow and black wires coming from both carb tops. There is also a wire coming from the throttle and a little box on the left side of the frame under the gas tank as mentioned above. unplug all of this and there is a good chance you will have fire. If not then trace the entire wiring harness and check for burnt wires and wires that may have grounded to the frame or pipes.If still nothing then its time to break out the ohm meter.

Is there anything else I should look for since this thing has sit in my garage since 2004? I know two strokes are pretty simple, fuel and spark and they'll run. But I'm not real familiar with them so if any of my questions sound stupid I'm sorry, just trying to not cut any corners on this one.

• Like 1

Get it firing. Oil Change. Top off coolant or go ahead and drain it and change it. Clean carbs and tank. Start it up. Before you start doing a ton of work to it, you may want to do a compression test on both cylinders. Should be 125 ish +/-. I would personally just do that first since your dad's "mechanic" put a new top end in it. Good luck and Welcome!

I haven't tried the on and off switch yet but last night I did jump the key switch. From what I remember correctly, of course that was 9 years ago, it was getting hard to start before it finally quit running. I don't know if that helps anything, from what I've been reading today I think I need to check the gap in the pickup coil, because the more I read and then the more I think about it, just judging by vision and what I remember it looking like last night, I think it was gapped way out from what it's supposed to be, could be wrong. I probably won't be able to work on it tonight I think me and my little man may just hang out in the house. But keep the help and tips coming, I really appreciate it guys.

and the black box is the brain for the Throttle Override system.  when its unplugged it cannot cause issues with the spark.  Also make sure there is a little black hose between the two carbs in the middle....this is your choke tube.  Basically it is a vacuum assisted style choke (actually a fuel enricher) to start the bike.......without it not only will it not truly be choked, but it will also have  a huge vacuum leak.

Where are you located...there are a ton of good guys on the site that (im sure) wouldn't mind swinging by to give you a hand if your not too far off the beaten path.