PVL electrical issues

NYrider631

Recently purchased a shee with a Yamaha rd400 motor I was told it was running with fresh rebuild put away, currently not running after 8 months compression is at 108 with dim dim spark wants to start. Ignition system seems to be wired okay (PVL) there is no CDI box not exactly sure how to test stator? Any comments or suggestions. All the help is needed this is becoming a big headache. Thanks guys

Tried pull starting it many times while spraying gas into carb and still nothing and good idea too fast. To me it sounds like a combination of low spark as well as not enough gas reaching the spark plugs because they're usually pretty dry but I'm leaning more to the electrical side since my 2 to 1 conversion carb kit is brand new. PVL is fairly new as well

Lmfao I hear that's so bad for 2 strokes because it leaves a bad residue on the pistons. I'm thinking electrical the guy I got it fom said he had problems with low spark as well. There's no CDI on it but according to him with fresh rebuild and new ignition system with out key it ran. Any other reasons for low spark? Immthinking either stator or CDI or timing of tdc. A problem so strong it wants to start but never gets there unless I give my PVL a small charge then it runs for one second.

Well PVL is generally found more in racing and it came with the pvl as well as the 2 to 1 carb kit Im not understanding the issue with that if you could explain locogato. There is no cdi on it which is an obv issue even though it has ran without it. I checked every ground there is. I think tomorrow I will do a stator test and look into getting a CDI. I checked to make sure the pistons were correct as well when kicking. And what I meant by giving it a little charge was I have a battery trickle charge that I hooked up to the wiring for a second. Made a difference with a very low charge. I have the new programmable one but I put my spark tester on my KTM and others and the lighting I see when kicking is a huge difference compared to the shee. And the jetting on the carb is fine. She's plainly just not getting enough juice.

yeah your for sure gonna wanna get a CDI on there soon. Also check the stator, the PVLs can play heck with a stator. Lastly double check that the capasator is storing enough energy to make the spark. Maybe thats why it tried to start when you put power to it.

yeah your for sure gonna wanna get a CDI on there soon. Also check the stator, the PVLs can play heck with a stator. Lastly double check that the capasator is storing enough energy to make the spark. Maybe thats why it tried to start when you put power to it.

^^^Thats is sound advice right there...........................

The only other thing i would add is maybe the voltage was too low. A trickle cgarger may just not be enough.............do you happen to have one of those 250 amp boost chargers