Fuel question

Been running av gas in my basically stock banshee. I don't get to ride it much and it sits for sometimes a couple of months between rides. I tried to crank it recently and after about 20 kicks it started, ran like crap, then died. That was a couple of weeks ago, I haven't checked anything yet. Move on to yesterday.

I have two leaf blowers. Filled them up with the left over mixed av gas. The first one started and ran about 5 minutes and died. I thought, what the heck, must be the plug. Grabbed the second one, it did the same thing which brings me to the question. Has my av gas gone bad? It doesn't smell old like regular auto gas does as it ages, but it has a strange smell. Doesn't even smell like gas.

Thanks,

Wheat

yes, your AV gas is bad. most likely has water in it.

Thanks Nick. I'm going to drain the tank. How long does av gas generally last? I thought it would last longer than auto gas.

Negative. Typically the higher end fuels tend to stale out faster. Proper storage in a sealed container in a cool low light area helps a lot.

Thanks for the info. I'll be running premium from now on.

AV gas is designed for High altitudes IE. Airplanes...I would not run that stuff in my Banshee, my real question is why spend the $ for the scent of the spent fuel. It has no performance benefits for a OEM headed Banshee if anything probably hurts performance it burns to slow with no advanced timing.

It has a cool head with 21cc domes, R2 pipes, V3 reeds, drilled air box, aftermarket filter, not exactly stock. I have been paying about 5.25 a gallon, so it's not that much more than auto fuel.

I have been told by several people that av gas is a dirty fuel. Not quite sure what was meant by that.. I used to run it in my dirt bikes back in the day without any problems.. But then again i was 15-16yrs old so it was just the cool factor i guess. I only run sunoco race fuels now a days.

AV isn't really dirty fuel or bad fuel. Remember it does need to meet a standard which lives are at stake. The reason to run it is because you can get more octane then pump with out paying out your ass. There are a ton of people who blend fuel and with av fuel you get about the same result. Back before major companies were making oxygenated fuels, AV fuel was the go to fuel for high altitude performance snowmobiles and mountain riders of any genre. Only down side I see to it is the fact that it doesn't store very well for long term periods.