Tires and gearing?

lansingbird

Here is my setup. Cheetah cubs small bore(75hp), shears, 14/41,22-11-8-8 extremes,170lbs,+12 swinger (just got it hope it not to big), mostly going to drag. I couldn't launch in second with stock swinger it would just bog. I haven't got to try with new swinger until I go to waynoka in april. Just tryin to be ready so I don't look like a clown. LOL

Question1: Enough paddle?

Question2: to much swingarm?

Question3 should I be able to launch in second with longer swingarm?

Question4 should I go to 15tooth up front and launch in first? I know I will get mixed reviews on this but lets hear it?

If you have any other opinions I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance and I love this site you guys have always steered me in the right direction!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo you need  different gearing , 14-41 is stock and pretty tall for 300 feet .    why would putting a longer swingarm  make it not  bog ?  its just gunna help keep the front end down once you do take off .    set  up to launch in second only ! if your starting in first you have already lost the race. your 8s will not be enough.  your swingarm will be fine ,  Key tip -  tires and gearing  are everything  even with a big motor, if your not set up right your not gunna win shit !  . I would start by going up at least to a 43 rear sprocket  , 

My thoughts were longer swinger wouldn't bog as much because it would be less weight over the rear tires which would let tires spin easier,which would reduce bog.I could be wrong. This is my first time extending the swinger from stock. I've tried 13/41 with stock swinger and felt like gears were really short and I was shifting way to much. If this makes a difference I have 18cc domes which seems to wind through the gears quite a bit faster than the 20cc domes I did have.

I totally agree tires and gearing are very important that why i'm trying to get some ideas on what is working with you guys. Hopefully, I won't have to buy 3 different sets of paddles to trial and error this thing. $400.00 a set is not in my budget!

I'm leaning toward 14 paddle extremes like jayCLL said!?

Hmmmm, same old text book answers & same old outlooks on what should be done!

Too long of swingarm, need to leave in 2nd gear & any other crap you want to follow along with what needs to be done.

We have a 14+ swingarm & leave in 1st gear. There's much more to going fast than listening to the same old text book crap. 1st gear launches will not lose any races if done right. I have posted proof on that subject.

Start posting up some time slips boys & girls. That's proof of the pudding on how to make things work when drag racing. Most can't do that, because the truth hurts.

well you can start in first and you might beat a few  people ,   we will keep starting in second  cuz its what works for us.   evreybody one here is gunna have a different opinion  the best thing for you to do is trial  and error  to see what works for you !   Time slips,   I have a million of em !

We take a different approach for 300' racing. Our background comes from asphalt racing. I listened to the different opinions people had about us switching to hill shooting or 300' set-up. Some opinions came from very good friends.

Most opinions were about: 1st or 2nd gear launch, gearing, swingarm length & tires. There was a few other things also.

I was told I was wrong with all of them when we started hill shooting/300' racing. My friends don't give the same opinions they used too.

I'm not trying to discredit any opinions, just backing mine up. 1st gear works if done right. Gearing 17/39 (2.29 ratio) with 2.86 primaries & 75" RO tires works very well. +14 swingarm deemed way too long by many, works. 14 paddle Rippers raised a good many negative comments & still does. All this stuff & more was totally wrong according to most opinions.

Take all this put it in a heavy stock frame with a 210 lb. rider with a 443cc race gas cub. It shouldn't be able to run the numbers it does. One of my good friends from Puerto Rico, called it a good 4.50 quad/set-up. He didn't question our set-up anymore after my first pass ever on 300' was a 4.03.

Take all the opinions & do what you want with them. The bottom line is you have to make your set-up work with what you got & spend the money to learn.