powdercoat vs paint

xjmav

What are the main advantages? I understand paint is easier to fix and more time consuming, less durable, cheaper etc. Powder coating more expensive, more durable, harder to fix etc.

My man question Its This. ...

The old man is a fabricator. He says fuck powdercoating cuz the frame tweaks and gets micro cracks and starts chipping the pc.

Is this something I should worry about on my banshee or just shell the mula and get it pced? I have also heard about pc screwing up ground connections. Any word on that?

Im going to stand behind powdercoat.  I really like it, its super tough the only real time your going to chip it is if you smash it into a rock or something.  You can literally bang on it with wrench's and not have any ill effects.  We ride in coal mostly here in PA and its pretty nasty stuff, ive seen it almost penetrate painted parts (they stay a tainted black color even when cleaned) and it can be difficult to clean painted items covered in coal dust but it wipes right off of p/c.  Its not terribly expensive figure about $100 to have a frame done.  I just got done prepping my frame to go to p/c and what i did was go to the local hardware store and bought cheap hardware to put in all the threaded holes in the frame (make sure you bottom all of them out so you will have good contact for any grounds you may need or you will have to grind the powdercoat off).  I powdercoated alot of the small parts myself with a little spot blaster a craftsman powdercoat gun and an old oven that i bought off craigslist.  The only thing i can say is a negative for the powdercoat is the fact that yes it is more expensive than paint and you have to remove every bearing/rubber bushing from the item your powdercoating because in the curing process it will melt)

I dont know what sand is like but i could imagine that riding behind someone (especially a banshee) would be like a low pressure sand blast which theoretically would deteriate paint,  but like i said i have no experience with riding in sand. just my 2cents

Powdercoat over paint...and I paint for a living.

I can't blast, prime,base and clear a frame as cheap as I can have one PC'ed

They PC coil springs, it flexs fine without cracking.

Acetone on a q-tip will remove fresh PC faster than you would believe, to clean threads or grounds.

If you do chip your powder, find a nail polish color close and touch it up

But, mine is painted...quality etch-primer and clear-coat, it will hold up fine too,but not quite as durable as powder. By the time it looks shabby, I'll be ready for a color change anyway.

I have one complete quad pc everything possible including the engine, have yet to have any issues with it. as said before a good pc shop will plug all holes and mask off what ever u want, as the pc shop i go to took care of anything i needed. My choice is pc, in the long run it lasts longer and less time consuming after your spray it 3 times a yr or more due to chipping and flaking off. Anytime im going to restore and clean up a bike i will always go with pc. 

Im also a fabricator. I'd say go with powder-coat. We usually paint our steel by hand in the workshop, it is some thick shit and I've seen it last for over 5 years though the down side is it doesnt look good but if you go and pay to get it painted it wont be as thick so it will be less durable. Every time out company payed to get it painted it would easily chip off from shifters and wrenches hitting it when we would put the nuts and bolts on but wouldnt chip off from the ones we painted by hand.