streight cut gears?

badbanshee509

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol so i guess ill hold up on buying one untill i go 4 mil DM, but once i get their how would you know which ratio to really select, ive seen many different ratios

Good question.  It boils down to what size front sprocket you need to run for the motor.  If you start getting above 17 ...might be a better idea to get a different ratio.

I'm fairly certain you can go up to 19 on front with stock cases..but that's paper thin clearance...and that big of sprockets are harder to find AND more expensive.

SlowerThanYou or Tedder can probably give good insight on pavement gearing/setup.

so 17 front srproket is  the highest the you guys would recomend befor changing the streight cut  gears out? and again how whould u determin what ratio to choose once you get to this point,  your above comment makes really good since dajogejr........

and lets say i stay with my 18 front sproket (not saying thats what i have) and im running good track numbers, would slaping one of the streight cut gears in give me more top end or bottom end HP, or is the puropse of the gears just to releave case pressure an will not give you any more top or bottom end power?  will cause you to go through your gears faster or slower?

I'm not going to say it'll give you more power..(other than the 1-2 HP advertised due to less drag while spinning.)

I'll say they'll allow you to more effectively use the power you have.  With any straight line, A to B racing, the goal is to be at the RPM limit of an engine design at the very, very end of the track.

In other words,  you should be running out of gear going through the traps.

If you run out before...you're leaving ET and MPH on the table.  Same thing if you're going past the traps. 

So, it's up to you on what tire size, air pressure and gear ratios work best for you.  It's not about case pressure, it's about gearing and room. 

A big, big motor will blow through gearing available like nothing.

The ability to run a sprocket up front that allows your motor to pull is key.  You get a big motor (I'm talking big) even a 17, 18 or 19 won't be enough on stock primaries.

Or...I'll go the other way.  You've got a 19 up front and 38/39 out back and you still run out of gear at the end of the track before you hit the traps.

Change primary ratios...and now you'll be able to put enough gear on it to pull through the traps, instead of stopping short.

Hope that all makes sense...  I'm not a pavement guy, so numbers, gearing are not my thing.  But the idea and principles are the same.