4 mil long rod vs stock

papasmurf96

after crank seal blew, leaned motor, and toasted bearings im trying to decide between a nice ported stock stroke motor with 16cc domes and 28pwk's versus a 4 mil long rod motor stock ported cylinders, 16cc domes and 28pwk's.

i already need to purchase new crank and cylinders as well. riding is usually a mix of trail,mx, and WOT runs just trying to get some info on best bang for the buck here thanks any input is appreciated

because its gonna be so much compression that your crank is going to be getting punished everytime a spark plug fires.  unless of course your WAY up in the mountains....but seeing how your in texas I doubt your that high.  That much compression is just too much for a crank to reliably handle.  Im running a dune/play port from Jeff at FAST and have 20cc domes and im kicking 156psi of compression (port jobs require a raise in compression as the exhaust ports get played with to flow more....meaning they don't seal up as soon......so you wind up with less compression with same dome size.....requiring a dome change)

at 156 im running the TOP of what 93 octane can support.....I tried a set of 19cc domes and I was in the 172psi area.  I bet you would be higher than what c12 (108oct) could actually support.  not to mention that is one hell of a stop and start that your crank sees.

My advice is to call a couple builders,find one that you are comfortable with, and have them setup all the parts you need for the rebuild. If you want to save a few bucks,and are comfortable doing it, save your money by doing the assembly,,,NOT by buying parts here,and parts there,and parts from Ebay,etc.  You need the domes,porting,base gasket,tolerances and all that to be a complete package. That way it'll make the most power reliably. Plus,most of the builders here will cut you better deals than you would EVER find online,,IF you buy it all from them in one shot. The total price will be cheaper than buy pieces here and there and then hoping it all works together. This is especially true on the domes.

If you decide stock cyl (whether stock stroke OR 4mm) id highly recommend you at least give Redline a call ( see my signature) and check out the dyno section for some of his results,,,they speak for themselves. 

Hope this helps.