Banshee crank issues

papasmurf96

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats the only spot in the crank that is blued where it rubbed the case, it was jetted pretty rich and running 32:1 seems kind of unlikely that it was lean but i could be wrong, im just trying to figure out where i need to go from here besides a top end, is the crank still usable being blued like that i mean i just need a little insight on what to do from here, thanks guys

Well it really sucks that the motor is apart. I would have said to do a leak down to eliminate an air leak. Could be an air leak or a fuel starve issue. You said it's freezing there now. Did you jet for the cold? I wouldn't reuse the crank as is. I'd send it out and get it checked and new bearings put on. It really can be a list of things that did this tho. But with the motor apart it is harder to tell

it was not ridden in the cold i was just too lazy to go outside and rip it apart when it was colt it was around 55-60 degrees the day i went to ride and thats usually when it runs best i found a possible issue, one of the lips on the crank seal was bent up i guess the guy who built the motor for me either got a little careless or it was just a fluke thing im uploading the pictures now.

also does anyone have any recommendations on who to send the crank to, im thinking of re sleeving jugs to standard size as well as doing an aggressive trail port, wiseco pistons and etc., having crank trued, welded, and new bearings. also which bearing should be used? thanks for the help guys ive had two strokes before but this is my first banshee so im kinda flying blind here, and thanks agin everyone

I would send my crank to Jeff at FAST Racing (Farmandsandtoys.com)

Those pistons look like they've fought through some detonation.........and there is a picture of your crank that shows a close up of the spot it was rubbing against the cases...but what the HELL is on the crank itself.  it almost looks like your pistons started to come apart as tiny pieces and stuck themselves to your crank.

my guess....  crank seal failed (that looks to be the cause with that folded lip) and it leaned out your motor.......pistons got hot and she started to detonate and from there it just couldn't take it....

wouldn't surprise me if your crank bearings are all shot. 

Look around on the For Sale Section.....as sleeving these cylinders is very expensive.  A lot of times you can find really good deals from us trying to offload stuff that's just sitting on our benches.  Hell you may even be able to find a set of already ported cylinders....wind up cheaper that way.  Also....if they're not ported, you can save some $ if you purchase them off of someone here and just have them shipped directly to the builder of your choice.

Jereme