Gear ratio for 300ft dirt drags

Tommygunn

There is no "right" answer for this kind of question, too many variables (rider weight, chassis weight, tires, track conditions, engine tune, etc. etc.). The only way to find the correct gearing is to start with something and fine tune from there. You want to be at the top of fifth gear when you cross the finish line. Whatever combination gets you there is what you go with...not trying to be a smartass, just being straight forward and honest.

I guess I could have been more descriptive. The gearing that was on the bike when I took it apart was WAY too low (not even sure what it is, I’ll have to look). It would wind out just way too fast. 1st gear was just useless. Since I need to buy new chain, sprockets, and tires, and 60% of the bikes time will be spent drag racing I figured I would see what would be best to put back on there. I believe stock is what?..14-41?

Yes, stock is 14/41. Depending on track conditions with tire choice, it could be what you need. Just remember, if you're tuning for 300' specifically, don't bother with 6th gear, tune for the top of 5th at the finish line. If you're leaving in first, use it only to get you moving then immediately shift to second.

1 tooth on the front is somewhat equivalent to 3 teeth in the rear. If you're close, fine tune your gearing with the rear sprocket. If you're far off, change the front. Also, if you're using a strut for the rear suspension, adjusting that can increase or decrease traction to help utilize your gearing. LOL, lots of factors  :)