6th gear wide open

Burndowns at WOT can mostly be traced to the wrong size main jet, junk oil, or an undersized exhaust that backs heat into the motor.

These are why modded machines fail the first time a Banshee owner finds a wide open space like a turf farm or a sled rider rips across a frozen lake.

Most have never done a plug chop in those conditions....so how could you possible know if your jetted correctly?

All my bikes get tuned on our dyno, then taken to the dunes and the jetting is double checked in a high load riding situation like only sand can duplicate.

WOT is not my enemy. I also run EGT probes on my fully ported REDLINE 10 mill cub. So I can see what lean and hot can do. If your jetted correctly, you'll be fine.

WTF is burping the throttle every once and a while going to do?.....the radiator isn't going to suddenly cool the motor 20-30 more degrees. If your burping the throttle....you just need to go up on your main jet.

Wide open throttle in 5-6th is NOT the same as pinning the throttle in neutral. In gear and moving is with a full load.

Think about it....snomobiles, leaf blowers, jet skis, anything with a CVT tranny, chainsaws, even those high end RC cars. A long street for an RC car is like miles of open road when you think about to scale.

WOT is just a place you jet for. You won't over rev the motor. Motors fall on thier faces in overrev. That limits your speed and RPM. It's a natural rev limiter. But if your lean at WOT....your making molten aluminum.

Old Wives Tale #1 - 2strokes can't run WOT.......BUSTED.

Pin it to win it boys......just jet it right first. LOL

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burndowns at WOT can mostly be traced to the wrong size main jet, junk oil, or an undersized exhaust that backs heat into the motor.

These are why modded machines fail the first time a Banshee owner finds a wide open space like a turf farm or a sled rider rips across a frozen lake.

Most have never done a plug chop in those conditions....so how could you possible know if your jetted correctly?

All my bikes get tuned on our dyno, then taken to the dunes and the jetting is double checked in a high load riding situation like only sand can duplicate.

WOT is not my enemy. I also run EGT probes on my fully ported REDLINE 10 mill cub. So I can see what lean and hot can do. If your jetted correctly, you'll be fine.

WTF is burping the throttle every once and a while going to do?.....the radiator isn't going to suddenly cool the motor 20-30 more degrees. If your burping the throttle....you just need to go up on your main jet.

Wide open throttle in 5-6th is NOT the same as pinning the throttle in neutral. In gear and moving is with a full load.

Think about it....snomobiles, leaf blowers, jet skis, anything with a CVT tranny, chainsaws, even those high end RC cars. A long street for an RC car is like miles of open road when you think about to scale.

WOT is just a place you jet for. You won't over rev the motor. Motors fall on thier faces in overrev. That limits your speed and RPM. It's a natural rev limiter. But if your lean at WOT....your making molten aluminum.

Old Wives Tale #1 - 2strokes can't run WOT.......BUSTED.

Pin it to win it boys......just jet it right first. LOL

Thanks John. So it looks like there is 4 people on here that know what they are talking about. I have a 94 shee, stock bore stock head stock pistons stock crank exhaust pwk and I hold that thing wide open. Still have good compression and thing runs like a champ. So if u are having to rebuild ur motor every summer u are doing something wrong and should have a professional work on ur stuff from now on.

Wow. It amazes me sometimes..... So I take it you have never ridden a snowmobile? Considering the vast majority are still 2 stroke, by your post I can verify you have NEVER ridden one.

Kind of reminds me of you when you're talking about big Banshee motors and being able to tell by a picture if an epoxy job is good or not.

i see the leaf blower comments and the other comparisons and all i can do is laugh! a leaf blower is not tuned for maximum performance. who here tunes a banshee to be able to hold it wot forever and it never exceed a safe rpm, or has a dome design the gives up performance for heat exchange? who here called their builder and said send me domes and exhaust that will get rid of heat and will only let my bike rev to 8,500 rpms? 100 dollars paypal to the first person that post them self on their banshee doing a wot pull for a solid mile as the bike is tuned right now. no changing parts not even spark plugs.......

the conversation we were having in the shoutbox was with a member that is running methanol which more than half that has posted in here knows jack shit about. if you wasn't keeping up with the convo or don't have a bike that will do a mile pull without backing out then gtfo.

baja500, 1000 do not set their bikes up for maximum power they set them up for maximum safe power with fuel economy in mind. very few ppl could even make it a mile in a 500-1000mile race let alone know how they set their bikes up.

like i said.......

video of 1 mile pull

no backing out for any reason

no tuning, no parts changing

todays date on paper in the video

And this has any respect to the OG post how???

Tyler you're a faggot everyone on this site knows if.

It doesn't genius. It has everything to do with you calling out cattledog on how little he knows about sleds.

You're just mad because no one knows who you are. Get over it.

So I take it you have never gone 6th gear Wot?????

i have steve.... several times. not "solid mile pulls"  but a banshee tuned for rpm curve performance will overrev and 99% of this board tunes their bike to make power up through the curve. no one here tunes a bike to run good once the cylinder starts building and storing heat.

you take a bone stock banshee and gear it with a 19/39 setup (if the motor will turn it) it should in therory be enough to keep a load on the engine for a entire mile and it will infact survive. now please tell me who on this site has such tall gearing on such a small engine? a 19/39 setup on my 465 cub with 5 gears would still run out of gearing load befor ethe 1/4 mile. i have held it to the point the motor started dieseling from the heat buildup and it was not fun i can assure you.

fuel starvation, overrev, heat buildup etc. something will cause failure

you take a snomo that has a pump you can cancel out fuel starvation

you take the technology that snomo companies have put into dome design and you can cancel out heat buildup

you take the load a snomo has on it all the time and you can take away overrev

same with a pwc both machines were designed around being held wot.

stockish bike ( no drag porting, high comp, no timing, etc.) with a good tune, I think could hold up to a minte of WOT, is it good for the motor? of course not ...

i agree. specially stock pipes that take overrev out of the picture completly. now what will a stockish bike top out at? 67mph? 67 will probably be reached around 1/4 mile. lets hope for the next 3/4 it hangs in there lol

its funny one of the rarest vintage ice racing sleds in snomo history is sitting on a shelf in my garage,

Thst sled is a 1972 thunderjet 440 factory ice racer a real piece of sled racing history,

special before you were born i ice raced mantas, speedway tripples,skidoo rvs, blizzards,thunderjet snojets and dominated in NY and PA

why you even brought up snowmobiles is beyond me as i never mentioned them,

so it leads me to believe you have some kind of problem with me,

ohhhhhh snap!!!

its funny one of the rarest vintage ice racing sleds in snomo history is sitting on a shelf in my garage,

Thst sled is a 1972 thunderjet 440 factory ice racer a real piece of sled racing history,

special before you were born i ice raced mantas, speedway tripples,skidoo rvs, blizzards,thunderjet snojets and dominated in NY and PA

i had a boss that move here from MN that moved back home. before he left we hung out a little bit and he had one of those in his shop. he said he use to drag race it a long time ago.

wish i could remember his last name.

Cattle, look.. First off, Ive never met you, but I like you. I think your a straight up old feller who is stuck in his ways and is a guy that most people would like to meet and have a beer with. Including me. But NOBODY CARES (atleast I sure the fuck dont and Im gonna bet that SB doesnt either) We dont care about your 3 wheelers, we dont care about you ancient sleds, we dont care about a 30 year old truck that you think is the greatest thing ever, we dont care about your homestead backwoods life style, we flat ass dont give a shit. This is 2012 (nearly 2013) and as I see it you are an older gentleman trying to impress younger people. "Ive got 100 trikes" as I recall from a thread "Ive got (x) DS's" Ive got an ancient sled that is meaningless to 99.9% of the motherfuckers that roll this earth..... You have to understand who you are dealing with. Now while I also agree with staying out of debt is a better way to go thats not how these motherfuckers roll. We dont have paid off houses, we want and do drive late model shit, we don't ride 3 wheelers, we have 150+hp 2 stroke and 4 stroke sleds noot some twin track manta or air cooled junk triples. WE FLAT OUT DONT FUCKING CARE ABOUT YOUR RELIC ASS SHIT.... Do I think NICE older shit is cool? Fuck yeah I do. Ive got some "old" things that are in mint shape and I will hang onto for as long as I can because I like them and Ive got alot of time in making them that way. REALITY is that your 1892 440 sled isnt gonna go a mile wide open either which is where this shit started. Are there SOME 2 stroke that will roll a mile WOT yep. Do I think anyone is willing to make a vid and do it on here? NOPE... SB wasnt challenging you or stating he has a problem with you. You MIGHT think you have a grasp on sleds. And you MIGHT have in 1970. BUT this is 2013 and the shit has changed, and not that you are clueless you arent up with the shit thats rolling around these days. Now that you have read my rant Ill tell you again, I like you, Id like to hang and drink a beer, but you gotta quite with this old man bragging shit your doing. Best regards GREEN