cutting out

rjt

,Have a 2001 banshee, toomey t-5s cool head, tors removed. Super clean well cared for quad, has a problem cutting out mid to top end. It is intermittent ,one minute it is ripping across the dunes the next it wont run over a quarter throttle. I have replaced the stator (new Ricky stator) new coil (yamaha) ,new plugs, new plug caps, new aftermarket cdi no change. It pops and backfires at half to full throttle, shut it down wait a few minutes and sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it doesnt ??? Does not seem fuel related to me it is so intermittent. Any ideas?

says tors removed, could be park brake if its still on there has a rev limiter. ive encountered the same prob being just a lil to rich one minute rip fine next min and choppy what did your old plugs look like?

Yeah Tors are gone. What about the parking brake it is still on there? The plugs have good color i really dont think it is fuel related ? When it acts up there is no power. You can ride it as long as you dont give it anymore than a quarter throttle, when you do it cuts out ,pops, backfires and has no power?? Then a few minutes later it runs like a raped ape all the power in the world.

says tors removed, could be park brake if its still on there has a rev limiter. ive encountered the same prob being just a lil to rich one minute rip fine next min and choppy what did your old plugs look like?

Sorry just skimmed through. But your parking brake needs to go to. It has the same concept as the tors, won't let the bike rev out if it thinks your parking brake is on.

Sorry just skimmed through. But your parking brake needs to go to. It has the same concept as the tors, won't let the bike rev out if it thinks your parking brake is on.

So do i need to pull the entire parking brake set up off or can i just disconnect all the electrical connections?

Pull the electrical. I personally pulled the whole thing, they just jam up and get ruined. But pull the electrical and see if that helps

Will do. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks !

Took a look at the Banshee yesterday and the switch and wiring have already been pulled from the parking brake perch. Did not look into the wiring in the harness could that wire be shorting out ?

Just a thought but you stated in your post that you put on a Ricky stator stator that could be your problem. Some of their stators even though its new have been prone to malfunction at higher rpms. If I was you try and find someone that will let you switch their stock stator for a test and if all is well with the stock one its prolly the Ricky stator stator. If it is just spend the extra and get one from Yamaha or a site sponsor.

The stator was replaced in the hope it would fix the problem. It was doing the same thing before the stator was replaced. But i do have another to try. Will also trace all the wires back for the e-brake and get rid of those.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a really old thread, just curious if you resolved the problem? What was it? I am currently having similar issues.

What year is your bike? My suggestion would be to "de-pin" green with yellow tracer wire back at your CDI plug and put a snall amount of silicone where wire was...obviously unplug harness from CDI before you silicone hole shut.....