Grey gear oil?

Ronnie

I was doing some inspecting today and I found electric tape around a piece of the axle. What is this about? I cannot upload my pic it says its too big of a file. Its on the left side and covers what appears to be 2 nuts to secure the axle right next to the sprocket. Why would he tape that off and how worried should I be?

Most likely he was frustrated because the two nuts tend to loosen up without extreme "jump on the wrench" torque so he taped them together so they don't loosen up. I used to use a wide hose clamp but that was ghetto so I drilled/tapped a hole for a setscrew.

Most likely he was frustrated because the two nuts tend to loosen up without extreme "jump on the wrench" torque so he taped them together so they don't loosen up. I used to use a wide hose clamp but that was ghetto so I drilled/tapped a hole for a setscrew.

Should I be worried? I worry a lot and I need some peace of mind.

My best advice is to go over your banshee and learn it real well. This will be your best weapon against mechanical failure. If it was previously owned by someone, I always assume the worse that they were an abusive hack and go through EVERYTHING.

I ordered a Haynes manual yesterday so that will be a big help. Also on the oil dipstick there's a small thatched area on it to show the oil its very small. Now when the oil is at the top of the little thing does that mean its full or low? I wanna do an oil change on this thing tomorrow.

Not to worry, see that tape trick alot. Get a Clymers manual, read and keep an eye on things.

Will a Haynes be just as good?

Also how do you use the shoutbox or do you have to be a premium member?

Edited by Ronnie

top of the x's in the box is full, with the dipstick just sitting on the cover,not screwed in at all. drain completely an add 1 and a half qts. is a good starting point. 1.6 qts is in the manual, that is 1qt and 19 oz.

I just did what you said to do and not a drop of oil showed up on the stick.

Now I am a bit worried. This could explain the grey oil. its funny this morning with out a start it looked normal then after playing with it in the garage a bit it was like silver.

Edited by Ronnie

Does any show when screwed in? either way it's low. change it anyway.put in a 10w/30 motor oil,to the full mark and check it often for a while to be safe.

I just screwed it down and back out and it shows full. Its not showing anything the way you told me to do it by just setting it on top and not screwing it down.

I just screwed it down and back out and it shows full. Its not showing anything the way you told me to do it by just setting it on top and not screwing it down.

Then the guy who changed it last didn't know how to check it. Or it's leaking it or burning it. But most likely the first one.

Then the guy who changed it last didn't know how to check it. Or it's leaking it or burning it. But most likely the first one.

Also I noticed today it was only smoking out one pipe it could just be me but could there be a problem it sounds and runs fine. Also the kick start makes noise like its lose it jingles is that a normal thing or is it about to break?

Kick start only about to break if it's really sloppy,you can buy rebuild parts, a screw,spring,ball,o-ring, to help with the jingling.

A compression test is always a good idea on a new purchase, usaually a better idea before a new purchase.

Good thing about two pipes is, start it and hold both pipes to see if they get hot at the same time, if one doesn't, that's your problem side.

Kick start only about to break if it's really sloppy,you can buy rebuild parts, a screw,spring,ball,o-ring, to help with the jingling.

A compression test is always a good idea on a new purchase, usaually a better idea before a new purchase.

Good thing about two pipes is, start it and hold both pipes to see if they get hot at the same time, if one doesn't, that's your problem side.

The back pipes don't get hot at all that Ive noticed but i haven't really rode it past 2nd gear yet and with no oil being in it its good thing I haven't taken it to the trails.