Flywheel key

G-Torque

Hey guys just looking for advice on how to remove the degree key... I'm replacing the stator and would like to change that key in the same trip but seems to be stuck ... Any trick to this ?

Thanks in advance ...

Is it rusted to the crank? Mine was stuck in my last banshee. I took a screwdriver and hammer and LIGHTLY tapped on the edge of the key. I cannot stress that enough, LIGHTLY!!! I almost sent the screw driver through my crank seal.:blink: If that doesn't work, spray some WD40 on it and let it sit overnight. Should loosen it up a bit.

honestly, just look for any chatter wear that may have wore the key thinner. if you don't see any real wear, leave it alone. you will find, if you ever do one with a loose key, that it is a blessing. all the key is there for is initial alignment, and it will rock in the groove, which can be a pill on install. once you properly seat the flywheel, the key does absolutely nothing, and it never should do anything but instal line-up. the most stubborn key will knock right out with a chisel/screw-driver and a hammer no problem. btw- the stock key is the hardest, most durable i have found.

If it's stuck leave it. Because when you go to put the flywheel back on and your just a hair off and the key keeps popping out it gets frustrating really fast. The magnets just suck that thing on, so I say is is stuck leave it. If your pulling the crank and doing seals then do what was said. Soak with some PB blaster and just pop it right out.

• 3 years later...

I know this might sound kinda strange but plain old 2 stroke oil makes a great penetrating oil. I once freed a set of channel locks that were rusted bad enough to where you couldn't move them anymore. I laid them in a meatloaf pan and covered them in regular old two stroke oil. I don't remember how long I let them soak but when I finally pulled them out and cleaned them up they were fine.