2010 YFZ-450 front Suspension Swap

Thack82

I know a lot of you guys have been playing with the YFZ-450 Suspension Suspension Swap and I've played with all the Yamaha 450 Suspension combinations and this is what I did and I'm very happy with the results. The "X" Shocks were a huge improvement over the 2007 YFZ-450SE Shocks, they made my Banshee ride like a trophy truck. I finally got the complete 2010 YFZ-450 Swap to work on the Banshee with NO Frame modifications. I'm running the following Suspension Parts.

Front:

*FullFlight +3+1 12 Point Adjustable A-Arms (For YFZ-450 Shocks)

*2010 YFZ-450R Spindles, Hubs, Steering Stem Flag, Brakes, and Brake Lines

*2010 YFZ-450X Front Shocks

I'm still messing with the rear right now I'm running a +1+1 Forward Powersport's Forged Rear Axle, and a 2010 Raptor 700SE Rear Brake Caliper along with Deep Dish ITP-T9's with Bend Rings to make up the differences in the front and rear width. I'm working on a rear Shock upgrade now with. after I get that squared away and buy a new aftermarket Swing-Arm (Hopefully a Ace Fabrication) I plan on putting Race Tech's Gold Valve's and Internals in all three shocks and going with their Triple Rate Springs on the front and their Dual Rate Springs on the Rear.

3.jpg?partExt=.jpg&&&outquality=90&ext=.jpg&limitsize=615,500

If you have any questions about the different 450 suspension Parts give Kevin a Call at 1-(480)-262-3216. He is very knowledgeable and he has a ton of Suspension Components for sale at a great price.

Edited by Thack82

I know a lot of you guys have been playing with the YFZ-450 Suspension Suspension Swap and I've played with all the Yamaha 450 Suspension combinations and this is what I did and I'm very happy with the results. The "X" Shocks were a huge improvement over the 2007 YFZ-450SE Shocks, they made my Banshee ride like a trophy truck. I finally got the complete 2010 YFZ-450 Swap to work on the Banshee with NO Frame modifications. I'm running the following Suspension Parts.

Front:

*FullFlight +3+1 12 Point Adjustable A-Arms (For YFZ-450 Shocks)

*2010 YFZ-450R Spindles, Hubs, Steering Stem Flag, Brakes, and Brake Lines

*2010 YFZ-450X Front Shocks

I'm still messing with the rear right now I'm running a +1+1 Forward Powersport's Forged Rear Axle, and a 2010 Raptor 700SE Rear Brake Caliper along with Deep Dish ITP-T9's with Bend Rings to make up the differences in the front and rear width. I'm working on a rear Shock upgrade now with. after I get that squared away and buy a new aftermarket Swing-Arm (Hopefully a Ace Fabrication) I plan on putting Race Tech's Gold Valve's and Internals in all three shocks and going with their Triple Rate Springs on the front and their Dual Rate Springs on the Rear.

If you have any questions about the different 450 suspension Parts give Kevin a Call at 1-(480)-262-3216. He is very knowledgeable and he has a ton of Suspension Components for sale at a great price.

interesting got pics?? i also run the 450 front end . but basically jus because i got it super cheap and its a big improvment over stock..imo..... it sounds like you have a bit invested so far? im not busting balls but why not jus go with banshee suspention set up?? kinda take the guess work out of the aquation.........

why not jus go with banshee suspention set up?? kinda take the guess work out of the aquation.........

You're beating a dead horse with this guy. There have been dozens of people with his exact setup that go to even a BASIC aftermarket Banshee setup and notice a WORLD of difference. You just gotta do what everyone else does, chuckle and move on.

I run the yfz a arms and shocks and honostly it rides like absolute shit. Its very stable, may be good for flat track, but I wouldn't reccomend this setup at all. Jmo

The YFZ shocks, PERIOD are shit. They use TINY little pistons, and valve the shit out of them from the factory. They are cool looking shocks, and NOTHING more than that. Anyone who claims it ride great has never ridden a properly set up Banshee.

• 2 weeks later...

what the hell are bend rings for itp's?

and just for giggles i thought i was going to die this weekend flat landed my outlaw pretty bad if i was on a banshee with even decent shocks i'm sure i would have bottomed out the frame, and probably bent the handle bars, it just soaked it all up. i was truly amazed...

The YFZ shocks, PERIOD are shit. They use TINY little pistons, and valve the shit out of them from the factory. They are cool looking shocks, and NOTHING more than that. Anyone who claims it ride great has never ridden a properly set up Banshee.

x3, both mine are stock setup suspension. The banshee is a much more comfortable ride!

x4 or what ever number we are on.

• 1 month later...

MattSCSS

You're beating a dead horse with this guy. There have been dozens of people with his exact setup that go to even a BASIC aftermarket Banshee setup and notice a WORLD of difference. You just gotta do what everyone else does, chuckle and move on.

Who else is running 2009 and new YFZ-450X or R Suspension Components on there Banshee that are members of BansheeHQ? I've been trying to find other people that have done the conversion to see how other similar set ups turned out. I'm not saying they don't exist but I can't find any pictures or BHQ Forums on the 450X Suspension Conversion.

I'm well aware that there are loads of guys running the older YFZ-450 Suspension Components but I can't find any other HQ members that are running the 450X Shocks. The X Shocks have a a lot bigger Pistons and there is a huge difference in the Valving VS the Standard YFZ-450 Shock. The shock body has been tapered, they are over a inch longer, they have over a inch more travel, they have 3" Coil Springs vs 2.5" Coil Springs, the Reservoirs are 80% bigger than the standard YFZ Shocks, they have a larger body for increased oil capacity for improved cooling, and they have a Kashima Coating to reduce friction. I decided that I could make the X Shocks work better with a different A-Arm set up so I had Metal Tech Custom Build me a set specifically for the X Shocks, Spindles, Hubs, and other Suspension Components when they built my +3 Oval Tube Swing Arm. If you like upgraded aftermarket shock set up with outdated technology and design thats fine but don't bash every other set up because you like something different. You need to remember that I'm riding in a completely different terrain than your used to. Kentucky's tight trails are littered with lime stone rock, sycamore roots, and cedar trees.

ZillaFreak

Are you lacking common sense? I was using the Trophy Truck analogy as a comparison between the the Standard 2007 YFZ-450SE Shock and the Newer 2009-2011 YFZ-450X Shocks in regards to the way the X Shocks reacted and absorbed impact.

camatv

Bend Rings are the inner and outer reinforcing rings that are rolled into the wheel to prevent them from bending and added durability. Here is a ITP Item listing I found on the internet that explains the function of bend rings on ITP's ATV Wheels.

334_thumb.png

406.jpg

The ITP T-9 Pro Baja Rims are constructed with an

inner and outer reinforcing bend ring that is rolled

in, not welded for maximum performance and added

levels of strength for maximum durability to handle

ATV racing.

amstall

If you think the Banshee's Stock Suspension Set up is good for anything other than Sand Drags and Dunning you haven't ever rode one off the pavement.

Edited by Thack82

The X Shocks have a a lot bigger Pistons and there is a huge difference in the Valving VS the Standard YFZ-450 Shock. The shock body has been tapered, they are over a inch longer, they have over a inch more travel, they have 3" Coil Springs vs 2.5" Coil Springs, the Reservoirs are 80% bigger than the standard YFZ Shocks, they have a larger body for increased oil capacity for improved cooling, and they have a Kashima Coating to reduce friction.

Thanks for that lesson on junk shocks that don't belong near ANY ATV, let alone cobbled onto the front end of a banshee.

You need to remember that I'm riding in a completely different terrain than your used to. Kentucky's tight trails are littered with lime stone rock, sycamore roots, and cedar trees.

Ah, that's right, because I have been in this business for 9 years knowing NOTHING about other terrain. Silly me.

If you think the Banshee's Stock Suspension Set up is good for anything other than Sand Drags and Dunning you haven't ever rode one off the pavement.

I'm not sure what dunning is, but if you meant "duning", stock suspension is the absolute WORST on the choppy dunes. Just saying.