Shifting issues

Dave G

Hey guys....got a question. My Shee is sometimes very difficult to upshift. If I am just cruising along, it usually shifts fine. (Sometimes it doesn't even like to shift then, however) But if I am running it, all upshift gears tend to be difficult. Sometimes I'll miss second and end up in neutral, sometimes miss 3rd and stay in 2nd.....etc. I have checked and rechecked the shift claw and it is spaced evenly over the shift star with it in any gear, and the clutch is adjusted properly. I have tried shifting both with and without the clutch....same result.

Will modding the shift star correct this? I have read that it helps it shift easier, but haven't seen whether it can correct missing shifts. Also, I just have the stock shift lever. Would a quality aftermarket shift lever help?

Thanks again for any help you can give!!!!

Hey guys....got a question. My Shee is sometimes very difficult to upshift. If I am just cruising along, it usually shifts fine. (Sometimes it doesn't even like to shift then, however) But if I am running it, all upshift gears tend to be difficult. Sometimes I'll miss second and end up in neutral, sometimes miss 3rd and stay in 2nd.....etc. I have checked and rechecked the shift claw and it is spaced evenly over the shift star with it in any gear, and the clutch is adjusted properly. I have tried shifting both with and without the clutch....same result.

Will modding the shift star correct this? I have read that it helps it shift easier, but haven't seen whether it can correct missing shifts. Also, I just have the stock shift lever. Would a quality aftermarket shift lever help?

Thanks again for any help you can give!!!!

sift star will help.. but make sure ur essentric srew is adjust properly. i had the same problem. all i had to do was adjust the essentric srew

sift star will help.. but make sure ur essentric srew is adjust properly. i had the same problem. all i had to do was adjust the essentric srew

Can someone give detailed instuctions on how to proper adjust the essentric screw cause im having the same problem & I have all the clutch mods. shift pro kit, modded star & cut tranny. Also what mod is done to the shift shaft to help shifting? Not to be thread jacking but I figured it will benefit us both.

Can someone give detailed instuctions on how to proper adjust the essentric screw cause im having the same problem & I have all the clutch mods. shift pro kit, modded star & cut tranny. Also what mod is done to the shift shaft to help shifting? Not to be thread jacking but I figured it will benefit us both.

the essentric srew adjust where the shifter sits on the shift star. adjust till the shift star pins have equal distence between shifter.. i cant remember if you adjust with it in nutural or in gear. maybe someone will chime in!! i think nutural.. but i could be wrong!!

Edited by special06shee

How's your clutch basket? If you pull the clutch and not fully disengage the motor it will still spin the tranny and resists shifting.

X2 tranny fluid.

Nobody mentioned better or worst when hot or cold or flat or up hill

Double check that the clutch rod going in to the case has the arrows lined up.

Does your bike when cold start kinda lurch forward when you kick it?

Does it kinda stall when you put it in first gear and have to rev it so it doesn't stall?

Valvoline 10w 40 motorcycle oil..... its for wet clutch transmissions

you have creeping problems? mine was horrible unless the bike was heat soaked from riding. it was about 50 one morning when i started it and it killed it when i put it in gear there was so much drag. i flushed it out and went back to ATF.

How's your clutch basket? If you pull the clutch and not fully disengage the motor it will still spin the tranny and resists shifting.

X2 tranny fluid.

Nobody mentioned better or worst when hot or cold or flat or up hill

Double check that the clutch rod going in to the case has the arrows lined up.

Does your bike when cold start kinda lurch forward when you kick it?

Does it kinda stall when you put it in first gear and have to rev it so it doesn't stall?

When cold it does kinda lurch forward when putting it in gear, but as it warms up, that goes away. Never does it to the point of stalling the engine. The clutch basket is new, as well as the hub. The pressure plate is older, but in perfect shape. It does it regardless of hilly or level ground, and the clutch rod and case arrows are lined up. As for oil, I am running Castrol 10w-40, but am considering going to Type F tranny fluid.