Plug question

Chip M

I am in the process of building a leakdown tester and I have the banshee partially disassembled again after a rebuild a month or so ago. I have been having a little trouble getting my jetting/tuning just right but heading in the right direction. It sounds pretty good at all throttle positions but it does not seem to have the pull I would think it should. No breaking up, no bog, I just do not feel the power I thought it should have. Would an air leak give this kind of situation?. I first thought the clutch was slipping and that is where the power was going and I ordered a complete clutch set with basket from FAST, but the more I rode it , the less I thought it was the problem. So it sits in the box still. The clutch looked good when i put it back together anyway. I will post some pics of the plugs I pulled and I do not know if it will tell you anything at all about my problem, I was wondering if plugs that have been run for 3 or 4 hours would normally be that shiny on the ring. Have not done a plug chop yet, but will give it a try after leakdown test is done. Thanks for any help/advise you can give.

2012-03-29_19-17-50_906.jpg

2012-03-29_19-18-32_539.jpg

96 Banshee

64.75 mm bore

V Force reeds

ProDesign Cool Head

FMF Gold Series Fatty's- Powercore 2 Silencers

Presently 300 main jets-27.5 pilots

@ sea level-80 deg. F

Hard trail / MX style riding

they look pretty dark, do you have any other size jets to play with?

Yes I have some 290's and 280's also. I started out after rebuild with the 300's to be safe. It had stock 200's and 25 pilots when I bought it, along with a melted piston. lol. I have been waiting to do my leakdown test before i continue with the jetting. Do you think my lack of power could be from running too rich? I will be sure to try to lean it out after I am sure it has no leaks. Thanks.

I should have also posted the K&N air filter with stock box, full lid but no snorkel

I agree, plugs looking pretty rich. Not really even close to coffee brown. Is it smoking like hell or what?

No, not smoking much at all. I have a little when it is first fired, more on left side than right, but evens out when warm. After warmed up good, it looks like typical 2 stroke. I will have the leakdown tester done today, hoping it will give me some answers to my lack of power issue. The plug chop will be soon after. Maybe I am expecting too much. I wish I had something to compare to. I hate to go back to jets similar to stock, that is what it had when I bought it, but also had the wasted piston. Thanks for the input.

Were those 1-6 WOT run and just not chopped? Or are they from riding around a while? Read up on proper plug chop. :cheers:

Those are just from standard rippin through the woods. I would guess they have 3 or 4 hours on them. I will do the plug chop after my leakdown test and get it back together. After reading some of the posts I am thinking now I should go ahead and drop a size or 2 on the mains before the plug chop. My real problem is the feeling that it does not have the power it should for as good as it starts and sounds running 1-6. Shouldn't a banshee with the bolt ons I have try to stand up if you wind up first and grab second....on the street? I was hoping so, but the last one I had was one I bought new in 1988. Long time and many miles ago. Thanks for all your help guys.

Those are just from standard rippin through the woods. I would guess they have 3 or 4 hours on them. I will do the plug chop after my leakdown test and get it back together. After reading some of the posts I am thinking now I should go ahead and drop a size or 2 on the mains before the plug chop. My real problem is the feeling that it does not have the power it should for as good as it starts and sounds running 1-6. Shouldn't a banshee with the bolt ons I have try to stand up if you wind up first and grab second....on the street? I was hoping so, but the last one I had was one I bought new in 1988. Long time and many miles ago. Thanks for all your help guys.

Those plugs look rich. Drop the main jet one size and then do a plug chop.

also, did you compression test after the top end rebuild ?

No, I have many things to learn for sure. I need to get the toys to check all the essential information to have a sweet running Banshee. In the past I have just done top end rebuilds, this was my first top and bottom end rebuild, and never a Banshee. Building the leakdown tester today and I will get a compression test gauge and also the tool to sync carbs. After reading your post about the test, I really started to think about the compression. I was very careful about everything being clean and flat when assembled, and also checked the bore size for roundness and size before ordering piston and rings. I even mic'd the new pistons when they came in.lol. Even with that in mind, my troubles could be explained if I still have low compression. Back to basics, I will check the compression after leakdown test and hopefully get my answer. It is great to be able to read/relate other problems and replies in here. Many heads are better than....well, you know. Thanks much

No, I have many things to learn for sure. I need to get the toys to check all the essential information to have a sweet running Banshee. In the past I have just done top end rebuilds, this was my first top and bottom end rebuild, and never a Banshee. Building the leakdown tester today and I will get a compression test gauge and also the tool to sync carbs. After reading your post about the test, I really started to think about the compression. I was very careful about everything being clean and flat when assembled, and also checked the bore size for roundness and size before ordering piston and rings. I even mic'd the new pistons when they came in.lol. Even with that in mind, my troubles could be explained if I still have low compression. Back to basics, I will check the compression after leakdown test and hopefully get my answer. It is great to be able to read/relate other problems and replies in here. Many heads are better than....well, you know. Thanks much

Leakdown test will tell you lots. The system should hold 10lbs. Common air leaks occur around the reed valve gasket area. The air intake boots can also leak.

Compression should be at least 115 psi in both cylinders. Especially with a fresh top end.