Worn choke won't stay out.

KarTek

Guys, the choke knob just won't stay out any more and it's a little difficult to kick the engine and hold the knob out at the same time. So, is there a way to adjust the friction or is it just shot and needs replacement?

Any tricks to make it work?

Thanks!

I took mine apart. Pulled the little clip off. Used a hacksaw blade to "re-cut" the groove's on the shaft so they have nice sharp edges again instead of all rounded due to years of use. compress the snap ring a little for a tighter fit into the grooves and re-installed. Works better than new... No bullshit. Otherwise.. you could always just use a twig broken off about 3/4" long and prop the knob out... :cheers:

I took mine apart. Pulled the little clip off. Used a hacksaw blade to "re-cut" the groove's on the shaft so they have nice sharp edges again instead of all rounded due to years of use. compress the snap ring a little for a tighter fit into the grooves and re-installed. Works better than new... No bullshit. Otherwise.. you could always just use a twig broken off about 3/4" long and prop the knob out... :cheers:

repair,i wouldnt use a hack saw but.... take the choke out, there will be 2 notches on the choke shaft, they get rounded off, get a small file and touch them up.

really?......?.......?.... :blink:

yah, rounded, is fine..... the clip gets worn out. 90% of the time, that is what it is every time

you can pull the worn-down clip and try to make a new one, a micro-torch is essential to get it bent reliably. the clip is located under the rubber boot, and resembles a door window crank handle clip in your car. really, though, if you don't find a brand new choke assy in the $8-14 range, you are doing wrong.