what jets- new banshee owner

westrob

hey guys, new to this site and i have been reading and learning a lot over the last couple of months. now im looking for advice. bought a banshee, im used to working on 2 strokes but only for water craft. im just looking for help on what jets i should use for my banshee. this is what i have: stock motor with fresh bore and pistons, 2-35mm pwk carbs, uni filters in a cfm aluminum airbox, stock pipes, cool head with 20cc domes. once i put the engine back together i will check the compression to see if pump gas will work and if not i will get bigger domes. eventually once the bike is back together and running i will get aftermarket pipes and re jet but for right now they will have to do. im around 700ft elevation where i ride. im going to take the carbs apart in the next couple of days to see what size of jets are in it but just looking for advice right now on what anyone thinks should be in it right now for jetting.... thanks

Man, Those carbs and Those pipes? Honestly, you just need to find some pipes... Get a shitty pair off ebay for $50 or get a set of stock carbs for $50-65 and run those until you do get some pipes, cause a stocker on 35's wont want to run down low and the elk horns wont let it rev. Good luck to you. You SHOULD be ok with the 20cc domes. I'm ok at same elevation, but Definitely check to be sure.

With a bike with pipes we would normally tell you around 150 for mainjet, with stock pipes and the cfm airbox may be in the 120s- 150s?? Make sure you watch your plugs. I too wouldnt even mess with it till you get a set of pipes.

ok thanks for the advice everyone... if i could find a used pair of fmf fattys around where i live i would get them but i can only find pipes in the states and shipping is crazy to ontario, canada (usually costs more for shipping than the pipes). and from what i read, fmf fattys are the best for trail riding...

after taking my carbs apart, i actually have 35mm keihin PJ carbs not pwk and the jets are 145 and 48... these jets were running this banshee with out an airbox, just two open uni filters and a stock head and stock exhaust when i bought it. im putting the cool head on with 20cc domes and cfm aluminum airbox with two uni airfilters... should i be ok starting the engine up with these jets or should i go bigger to make sure its not running lean? thanks

after taking my carbs apart, i actually have 35mm keihin PJ carbs not pwk and the jets are 145 and 48... these jets were running this banshee with out an airbox, just two open uni filters and a stock head and stock exhaust when i bought it. im putting the cool head on with 20cc domes and cfm aluminum airbox with two uni airfilters... should i be ok starting the engine up with these jets or should i go bigger to make sure its not running lean? thanks

Actually from what i read the PJ's do not come in 35mm. I measured them and they were just under 35mm so i guess i have 34mm Pj carbs

i found a set of fmf fattys with turbine core silencers, and add 34mm pj carbs in a cfm aluminum airbox with uni foam filters, a cool head with 20cc domes and bored and honed stock cylinders with new pistons. i have 145 main jets and 48pilots in the carbs right now, when i do my heat cycles on the new top end, will this be a rich enough carb jetting for my set up? thanks

i found a set of fmf fattys with turbine core silencers, and add 34mm pj carbs in a cfm aluminum airbox with uni foam filters, a cool head with 20cc domes and bored and honed stock cylinders with new pistons. i have 145 main jets and 48pilots in the carbs right now, when i do my heat cycles on the new top end, will this be a rich enough carb jetting for my set up? thanks

also, i forget to add my elevation at 700-800ft and the temperature here has been around 20-32 degrees Fahrenheit

hopefully someone can help me out, i pick up the fmf fattys tomorrow and want to get the engine together and hopefully run it through heat cycles by the end of the weekend... also the needles in the carbs are at the second clip from the top (blunt end).. should it be in the middle clip before i fine tune the carbs after i do the top end break in?? or should i just run the stock exhaust with the original carb settings well i do the top end break in and than put the fmfs on and tune the carbs after the top end is broken in? thanks

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99361

Try searching this thread for a set-up simular to what you have, might have to MANUALLY scroll thru it. That's what I did and I was spot on when I fired it up. Sorry I can't help whole lot with your carbs. With the weather right now I would start at 155 main or so. I wouldn't bother wasting time with stockers if you're getting fatties. Son has Gold Signature series, simular to fatties, 310 main on unported 4mill @ 70. Remember ALWAYS start rich and work your way down. I have figured a "very rough" conversion formula, Mikuni mains are 2x size of Kehins and pilots are 1/2 of Kehins.

X-2 on you still may be overcarbed for your set-up :cheers:

with all the advice ive got (thanks again) and reading ive done, im going to start out with a 48 pilot jet, 155 main and needle clip in the middle(3rd spot)... the temp is staying around 20F during the day and with the airbox i have i think i will be good with those jets. I ended up working all weekend so i wasnt able to put it back together or run heat cycles so hopefully by the end of the week ill have it running and i will update with my results on the jetting. And hopefully the 20cc domes i have will let me run pump gas, if not ill have to order new domes and wait a week or two for em to come in before i can even ride it....