421 cub 4-mil (HJR)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I rode it I was actually around 5000'. Hoping to do some tuning in the next couple weeks. I'll be around 2500' doin that. I would think I'd end up a lil leaner than you up here if our porting is similar. My timing is at 5 but wanted to try jackin it up after I get the jetting lined out. Let me know where u end up. I think you should be close

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had any time to trouble shoot any further. Our first desert trip is Nov. 2 and I hope to get this problem figured out. How many people think its an electrical issue??? Could it be a reed? What are the symptoms of a broken reed? I'm going to swap out electrical parts once more one at a time. If I switch everything out and it still does it I don't know what to do. Please guys please help if you can! Brand new HJR 421 cub and I can't even ride it! I'm depressed!

I had the same problem at the track and I freeked out. I found out it was a plug starting to foul out on one side.

I'm not a fan of the NGK caps. The ones I had made a really good click when popped on the plugs but felt loose after that? Maybe they were worn.

I went back to stock style. When the stockers get loose a pair of vise grips gets them tight again.

@ride.race.live

Leak down- no

Reeds- no

Plugs- grey

Timing +6

Pick up Gap- .016

Carbs- clean and synced

could be a lean main jet, i dont like to see grey on my plugs, go up a few sizes and see if its still cutting out your top end

Edited by mike0chek

Ok, after seeing your first post and even the check list that you just made the one thing that jumps out at me is your plug color! 170 is pretty rich and you are getting grey plugs. Typically a sign of over heating. If I were you, I wouldn't dare ride that thing with out doing a Leak down test. You could try the brake cleaner or soldering torch gas around all the seals and gaskets while it's running, but a true leak down will be your best bet. Grey plugs mean bad news.

It's a dark wet grey. Not over heating, temp doesn't go over 160 because I'm not really riding it. I've gone from 168 mains up to 180 mains and does the same thing. It feels like an electrical cut off to the power band. I've checked for air leaks with carb cleaner spraying all around the intake, reeds, and carbs and no leaks detected.

Here's what I'm going to do when I have time. Double check carbs, reeds, and check for leaks. Compression test. New plugs and gap and mag pick up gap. Check spark plug cap resistance.Swap out all electrical components one by one. Last thing will break down top end and see if everything looks normal.

Probably some time this weekend or next week. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my Honda motor for a turbo and getting back in my car. Time is limited.

Thanks everyone for the help so far! First trip is November 2.

Okay just got done trouble shooting with Kevin H. Compression is good

Leak down is good

Swapped out coil, caps, wires, flywheel, stator, cdi, and harness. Nothing changed.

34mm PJ's w/52 pilot, 172 main.

The bike starts right up, idles great, drives but will not rev out. Feels like a rev limiter.

Im going to check the reeds and change carbs. If neither of those fixes the problem I'm at a lost for words. Kevin and I are stumped on this one.