421 cub 4-mil (HJR)

Is your shee runs fine now?

Are those TB05EMA plug caps "stock" ones or specialy for a 421?

I have a 421 from HJR on its way and im just collecting info for future hehe.

Good luck!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I just had a similar problem and it turned out to be my flywheel. I couldnt understand how it worked for a few minutes and then stopped working. I didnt think there was anything that could change in a flywheel but evidently i was wrong. I changed the flywheel and the problem went away. Electrical problems are the hardest to diagnose unless you know the basics about the system and how it works. Also knowing the details such as ohms and current requirements really help.

• 5 months later...

Sorry guys for not replying! I never got my bike running right. I took a trip to Glamis in April and it did the same thing. I'm able to ride it if I ease into the power band. As soon as I give it WOD it cuts out.

Here's what I did tonight. I bought the wires and caps from FAST and changed them out. Still did the same thing. I closed my spark plug gap to .024, changed stator, flywheel, cdi, and set pick up to .015. None of these things fixed the problem. Checked for loose wires and ground and everything checks good.

I'm so frustrated with this. Brand new cub build and it can't even enjoy it. So after testing all the above, what's next? Mechanical issue? It starts and revs up fine, but as son as there's a load is when it cuts out.

Sorry guys for not replying! I never got my bike running right. I took a trip to Glamis in April and it did the same thing. I'm able to ride it if I ease into the power band. As soon as I give it WOD it cuts out.

Here's what I did tonight. I bought the wires and caps from FAST and changed them out. Still did the same thing. I closed my spark plug gap to .024, changed stator, flywheel, cdi, and set pick up to .015. None of these things fixed the problem. Checked for loose wires and ground and everything checks good.

I'm so frustrated with this. Brand new cub build and it can't even enjoy it. So after testing all the above, what's next? Mechanical issue? It starts and revs up fine, but as son as there's a load is when it cuts out.

what was your setup before this? did the bike run good before you went 421? have you tried different carbs? i hear 34pjs are sometimes tempermental. not saying this is gonna fix it but your saying even in first gear if you punch it the bike just dies?

I'd b interested to see where u end up with this. I've got the same setup on avgas. I'm around a 50 pilot middleish clip and 150-55 main. I'm lean and backing out plugs. My guy thinks I'll end up around 170. I think im still lean on my pilot too. I'm running 39pwks on mine. But I wonder if I would probably b close on jetting with a different size carb. Where is your timing at?

Edited by dave5.0