Bike not starting

04bluyfz

i am having a problem with my bike. if i drain the carbs out and then just fill system back up, the bike will start on first kick, but if i let the bike sit for a few days and not start it it will not start. if i squirt some fuel in the carbs with filters removed it will fire up. They are stock carbs that have been cleaned and rejetted correct specs. the bowls are on the correct carbs, slides are in right, just cannot figure out what is going on.

If i start it everyday after refilling them it will start first kick. when it is running it runs good.

By refilling i mean i just shut the fuel off at the tank drain the lines and carbs and then hook them back up and just turn on the shutoff.

Thanks for any input and help

Todd

Sure your fuel is good and you have good oil? Maybe you have a float sticking and when it sits for a while its filling up with gas and flooding it... Maybe try some different plugs. Checked your compression lately? What do your plugs look like? You could pull the carbs off and clean them real good. Check float height, etc.

- Jared

Edited by BigRed350x

My son's does same thing. It can sit for an hour, day or two (with fuel off) and it will start just fine. At about one week it takes a snort of starting fluid to fire off. My thought is that fuel is refined for closed systems on road vehicles and the "high end volitles" evaporate out of the fuel in the bowls, then it's not good enough to fire off.

A friend had a quad that wouldn't fire off with 3 month old fuel. Fresh gas good to go. :cheers:

Thanks for the help guys, I will double check the floats and get some fresh gas and see what happens.

The bowls fill fine when I first hook it up, so the floats are opening.

If it starts when you spray whatever through the carbs, you're not getting enough fuel to the cylinders. I'd yank the carbs off and clean them good and go up a size or two on the pilot, if it starts then, go back and adjust your jetting. Sounds like its a carb issue...