Exhaust Question

94Mike

Hey HQ,

So I went out riding today and on the way back I hit a small section of pavement and I hit the powerband in 4th gear and BAM, all I heard was some scraping and what sounded like an exhaust right in my ear...

The bolt holding the muffler (Which holds the stinger tube up also) came off, my clamp for my stinger-header pipe came right off. So "Shitting" bricks I though I might have done some damage to the motor after hearing a loud pop (I look down to my right, I dont see my stinger tube on.)

Somehow it was hanging on without flying out the back, but dragging right behind the axle.

Long story short I almost ran it without the stinger tube, found a pencil, jabbed it in (later found some wire to actually hold it on right) and went my way home.

After all that, it brought a question to my head.

Would damage be done if I were to run it without the stinger and muffler?

Hope you guys got a kick out of the story.

Your exhaust is designed to be ran with the silencer in place. It will hurt the performance, and be loud as hell without it.

I know its designed to be ran with the silencer and stinger, but would it hurt the motor at all if I did run it without it?

Yeah it was pretty loud.

okay.....silencers are stingers. SO....if it falls of then your performance (like said before) will be down because lack of back pressure. will it run without it? YES. You already found out it will still run without it. Next..... your bike WILL NOT run if your pipe actually falls off......you NEED the back pressure of the pipe for them to run.

and will it hurt to ride it without the silencer on......yes...if you ride long enough. But you gotta do what you gotta do to get back. if you limp it and take it very easy for a very short distance it will be fine. But don't think you can go rip on it for 10 miles and expect it to stay running great....

okay.....silencers are stingers. SO....if it falls of then your performance (like said before) will be down because lack of back pressure. will it run without it? YES. You already found out it will still run without it. Next..... your bike WILL NOT run if your pipe actually falls off......you NEED the back pressure of the pipe for them to run.

and will it hurt to ride it without the silencer on......yes...if you ride long enough. But you gotta do what you gotta do to get back. if you limp it and take it very easy for a very short distance it will be fine. But don't think you can go rip on it for 10 miles and expect it to stay running great....

so by your definition tylers bike should be dead by now and any unsilenced drag pipes, some of which have very little stinger after the expansion chamber hurt the engine.

and a banshee will run without the expansion chambers. the358bansh has a video of his running with no pipes.

its a banshee. shit falls off, put it back on and ride.

so by your definition tylers bike should be dead by now and any unsilenced drag pipes, some of which have very little stinger after the expansion chamber hurt the engine.

and a banshee will run without the expansion chambers. the358bansh has a video of his running with no pipes.

its a banshee. shit falls off, put it back on and ride.

haha....no coup i know there are oof drag pipes that dont run silencers.....i meant if your carbs are tuned for running with the added pressure of the stinger. ive tried to get 2 different 2strokes running without pipes.....never had them actually fire without the pipe....but if they will....shit..haha...sorry about that bad info! Thanks for setting me straight coup.

• 12 years later...